Welding rod damascus(or not)

Shadow smith

Hi there guys,well i cant seem to find the topic i posted on this,so ill repost.well my question "was" Can i make a knife from alternating layers of different welding rods.So i went off the next day and tried it,i welded stainless onto mild and stainless abck onto the next mild weld and so on,i then forged out the billet if i may call it,and i forged it into a blacksmith style blade,i grinded it with my newly bought Worx angle grinder then i sanded it with a flap disc which gave it an ok finish then i etched it in Hydrocloric acid(Solder flux :lol: )and here it is.please comment

100_2627.JPG

100_2629.JPG

100_2630.JPG

100_2632.JPG

100_2633.JPG

Patients is the key to sucsess

Oh and i also figured out how to resize images on paint,if anyone needs help(not that paint is hard to use :lol: ).

good thing no one told you it wouldnt work. i suspect a lot of things are impossible because everyone knows they are, and therefore no one tries them.

looks pretty cool.

"Whats the point of women? I've got knives, they're just as pretty and I don't need to buy them dinner to get them out of their sheath"

http://omalleyblades.weebly.com/available-blades.html

good thing no one told you it wouldnt work. i suspect a lot of things are impossible because everyone knows they are, and therefore no one tries them.

looks pretty cool.

I was told stainless wont work but i tried anyway and look what happened.thanx for the comment :lol:

First, It's definitely a workable knife and the steel looks cool to, I like it...

Half the fun of this stuff is trying new things, I have a pile of experiments that didn't workout but I also have stuff that make people look at it in amazement and ask how the hell did you do that...lol

I don't think there's a wrong way, sometimes better or faster ways but as long as your out there doing it and not just wishing you could like most people do...

Like all things in life, I would rather try and fail then never try at all.

You will be a great bladesmith one day, no doubt about it.

You're the same dumb pilgrim who I've been hearing for twenty days, and smellin' for three!

Next time twist and fold; it'll make the pattern much more interesting.

Did you have any high carbon (hardfacing) electrods in there, or are you just not worried about edge taking/holding right now?

Edited by Matt Bower

Matt makes a great point. most welding rods have a very low carbon content and make foor knives that do not hold an edge well. I too tried something like this when i first started in the knife making. it was a neat looking knife, but it was more or less useless for all but opening letters. Hardfacing rod has much more carbon in it and can make for a good knife i suppose. i've never made a knife out of it, but I do use it to build up the wear bars on some of the older smowmobiles. it resists wear much better than normal 6011,6013, or 7018 rod. I suspect that it would hold an edge much better as well.

Have you ever thought about the life of steel? It's interesting to think that you can control the fate of a piece of metal.

Looks kinda cool, Did you forge weld the rods, or mig / stick weld them onto each other? (ie welded a bead with mild steel, then welded a bead of stainless on the mild, then another etc)

Any close ups of the pattern?

Edited by John N

ill get a pic of the pattern later,i used an arc welder to weld it.im worried at the moment about strength and hardness,but it is actualy quite hard.i didnt forge weld anything with this knife it was all srictly arc welding,ill try explain a bit beter.i was vertialy using a piece of mild as a striking plate and every second run/weld would be with a different rod.So its a layer of mild on top of a layer of stainless and so on. ^_^

i probly wouldnt be doing this if i could successfully forge weld in my cr"p forge.

Oh, just so you know, most of the time when people are refering to welding here, we're assuming forge welding, haha, yea so that makes sense that you got the stainless to weld haha, it arc welds just fine, forge welding is a whole different game unfortunately :(, unless your JPH then you can do it all you want. haha

Oh, just so you know, most of the time when people are refering to welding here, we're assuming forge welding, haha, yea so that makes sense that you got the stainless to weld haha, it arc welds just fine, forge welding is a whole different game unfortunately :(, unless your JPH then you can do it all you want. haha

In feb next year im going back to work and im going to convert my bottom feed forge to a side feed,im sick of all the prescious heat falling away onto the floor :o haha hopefully then ill be able to try a bit of damascus.

i wanna get you a close up of the peattern but the stupid camera(or me)cant seem to dull the shine from the blade

if you turn off the flash, and tilt the blade out in open sunlight, so that the sun is not reflected on the blade than you should be able to get a pretty clear image

yes i thought that might work but i got one problem....i cant figure out how to turn the flash off haha.ill google the make of the camera and see what it says.how am i doing with pic size?is it beter now than what it used to be?

yeah, i thought you'd somehow defied physics and just forge welded a buunch of welding rods together in your forge...

"Whats the point of women? I've got knives, they're just as pretty and I don't need to buy them dinner to get them out of their sheath"

http://omalleyblades.weebly.com/available-blades.html

yes i thought that might work but i got one problem....i cant figure out how to turn the flash off haha.ill google the make of the camera and see what it says.how am i doing with pic size?is it beter now than what it used to be?

masking tape over the flash bulb would probably do it :)

if stuff is smarter than you, use a dumb solution to make it work :) that's what I do anyway..

you know, now that you mention it thats not a terrible idea about forgewelding multiple arc welding rods together.. they're already all fluxed up, for a san mai type thing you could put 15 or so together and make a twisted billet sort of like cable, except it would have much more thick of lines. maybe do a few folds in there somewhere.. could be interesting.

you know, now that you mention it thats not a terrible idea about forgewelding multiple arc welding rods together.. they're already all fluxed up, for a san mai type thing you could put 15 or so together and make a twisted billet sort of like cable, except it would have much more thick of lines. maybe do a few folds in there somewhere.. could be interesting.

i dont think it will work because when you twist it the flux will break off but if you just stack them together the flux might not be the right kind and it could get stuck in the cracks but its worth a try,ive thought of that before.

it would work the same as cable, you would bundle and weld them straight, then twist.

id say give it a try,im not sure about the flux actualy working but hey look at my arc weld knife. :o