owen bush

Great Big Seax

Looking great, that writhe patter is amazing.

I'm really digging the way the "snake" pattern came out! It has been a really interesting process to watch and has me back to reflecting as to how surfaces were preped prior to welding in period. You got some really good welds without cleaning up your snake billet, Kudos!

lets not get too ahead of ourselves...some took some didn't.

I think this squiggle work would be done best with annealed iron cold.and when it comes to wrought iron the extra heat helps make sure oxide is actually molten .

Owen,

I missed the start of this..... I agree with the rest ... really like that squiggle ....I've not seen that before.... looks like it was a bear to form and I think you did an excellent job of welding it up.... Very cool ..and like the rest I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Dick

brilliant! I love the pattern. I leave for a couple of weeks and suddenly this place goes wild.

cheers

Repairing with cast iron

Done that. A long time ago, with my first pattern welded blade (or any blade) It was a blade with 5 twisted bars and one on the edge had a relatively small flaw - delamination. Blade was almost finished and I had to make a decision whether to throw it out or try to repair. At the time I knew very little about iron/cast iron/steel, but I knew a cast i. will melt at lower temp. So I took acetylene torch and soldered it. I couldn't even recognize the point, where it was repaired. Never did it again but that first blade was too precious for me.

I don't know if it's any good for larger gaps

Tõnu

Nice looking blade!

Howie

Amazing is right. Awesome pattern. I have major blade envy now.

Is the 'squiggle' a pattern that was used by our ancestors?

If so, I bet all the Smiths mates thought he was crazy to try it until they saw the pattern emerge!

Are you happy with it so far Owen? It must be very easy to focus on the flaws in a piece like this and I wonder if that spoils the overall package.

Thanks All for the Kind coments .

I am going to work on this pattern again soon ,as I think its cool and would be better flawless .

Stew ,

There is a blade in the vaults at the British Museum that has a neater version of this pattern in it ,I have seen the origional and was impressed. It is a thoroughly decayed blade and you can see all the weld structure ,you can see through it in some places.I am amazed that there was so much wrong theory about patternwelded blades as this one shows all you need to know .

However the inspiration for this really comes from a small sample section of blade made by Vince Evans that is also in the BM I do not know if he made a full blade or not ?

as for the flaws ?

I will finish it and as long as it is sound (which it seems to be , the blade is between 6.5mm and 8.5mm so its plenty tough) I'll not worry too much about it .I have made flawless (as far as i could see on the surface) patternwelded swords and I have destroyed blades with flaws in that were less than this.....

I generally get to keep my flawed blades and have sold quite a few other blades because I have them at hand so they earn there keep .

There were flaws in the saxon blades and japanese blades even have an endearing name for there flaws so I shall let this one have it life ,I certainly would not be so forgiving on the next one .

There is a blade in the vaults at the British Museum that has a neater version of this pattern in it ,I have seen the origional and was impressed. It is a thoroughly decayed blade and you can see all the weld structure ,you can see through it in some places.I am amazed that there was so much wrong theory about patternwelded blades as this one shows all you need to know .

I bet it has shocked a few researchers in it's time!

There were flaws in the saxon blades and japanese blades even have an endearing name for there flaws so I shall let this one have it life ,I certainly would not be so forgiving on the next one .

I certainly see nothing wrong with flaws myself but I was wondering if it becomes the focus of attention from a makers point of view. That niggle that's always there. The Japanese have it right by naming them - it's a way of embracing them, I suppose.

I realize this is a five year old dead thread, but I think it deserves to be brought back to life.

Did this seax ever get finished? If so it would be awesome to see pictures of it, if not, it would be great to see somebody finish it out. I realize there are some weld flaws in this piece, but to me a small weld flaw like that makes it seem more real.

Thanks Micheal! I would've never found it. I'm sure that's the blade, look at the "squiggle" in the pattern. Petr really did Owen's blade justice. It seems like a lot of people look for "Viking age two handers" without realizing how big seaxes like this actually get.

There's a really good read here on the forums, this is actually a thread where Owen was gathering information to make this blade, here's the link. http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15369

Edited by Collin Miller

Petr ended up hitting and sheathing it, it's now one of my prized possessions.

I have just started to work on a seax blade to be finished by Petr . This new blade will make the hepti seax look like a slender wisp of a seax.........

That sounds ominous and exciting Owen ;)

Wip pictures, please Owen!!!

Good to hear that, Owen, I thought for a minute that this blade was just forgotten.
I guess I bumped this thread at just the right time then! Please post some pictures and details, Owen!