Jake Powning

WIP single edged PW Viking sword

Totaly awesome Jake looking forward to seeing it finished.

Bob

Thanks guys! :)

Ok, I've got the bronzes pretty much ready for final assembly, and I'm just polishing the blade.

I've posted more images on the facebook tutorial with descriptions tutorial

I'll post some here as well.

I use liver of sulphur to darken the bronze and steel wool to polish the complicated parts, but sandpaper to polish the smooth surfaces.

thanks for looking

0willowraven48.jpg

0willowraven49.jpg

0willowraven53.jpg

0willowraven54.jpg

0willowraven57.jpg

0willowraven58.jpg

0willowraven59.jpg

Beautiful, both your work and the pictures

I love the fittings Jake! Is the face in the helm Tyr? So awesome!!!!

thanks guys.

the face on the front of the scabbard throat is Odin, (notice the one eye) Tyr is on the back. the pommel has a hollow center but it's solid above the rivets and the walls of the hollow center are quite thick, around 3 or 4mm.

Edited by Jake Powning

Jake, seeing the chape I thought it was a pair of forged or cast viking nut crackers!

Really awesome work!

Seriously great stuff Jake.

I'm always amazed with what can be done with silicon bronze.

I dont think Andy & I will ever really start using it in any of our work, as its not our territory & style. But we're dabbling with it at our college in the metals department on odd jobs with some friends, & it blows my mind.

How large of objects are you capable of casting? are you limited to whatever will fit in that vacuum tube with holes thingy? (technical term) ;) haha

Jake ,

I like it ,a lot. The Blade looks fast with the wide fuller .

I love the bronzes ,I really do .Having just started that process I appreciate your work all the more .

Good to see .

It looks wonderful so far, was there any reason you went with a less stylized handle than normal? Not critisim just wondering

Thanks for the comments everyone. I just did final assembly and gluing of the hilt and scabbard. stressful!!!! the final assembly of a project is always the hardest and most stressful part of the whole thing for me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll hopefully get some more pictures up tomorrow.

Hi David, I am limited somewhat by the size of flasks that I have, but there are ways around this, like welding a cylinder on top of the vacuum flask. longer pieces are more challenging, but can certainly be done. There are other ways of casting too; if something is way too big for the vacuum caster it probably has enough mass to be gravity cast, and I can go up to 200 pounds of bronze on gravity casting because we have a small foundry.

Hi Jared, one of my goals with this piece was to try to hold back a bit on the ornamentation, so I tried for a bit of restraint, but it was hard and I'm not sure I was all together successful, once I get going it's hard not to cover everything in scrolework or knotwork :D I think the spare guards will compliment the pommel ornamentation, after all in the words of Ric Furrer, 'just because you can doesn't mean you should' B)

it's a wonderful work, i love the bronze casting :)

Bronze fittings are outstanding, the dragon's head is stunning. thanks for this tutorial, I hope to see the sword finish shortly.

I have seen here and in the tutorial on your site that you use an unusual shape crucible (a bowl very flat), is an advantage compared to the usual crucible?

Thank you Marco! The shallow bowl is the easiest for me to buy, and holds a sufficient amount of molten metal, so thats what I use. It's not superior to deeper crucibles, just different.

So, I made a new grip for this piece. I Had a piece of Viking ship rib that Don Fogg gave me waiting for a special project and I desided that this was the project, It's oak. I have some images of the carving process and then the final photos, I'm not entirely done photographing yet. I mannaged to rig up a light box that works very well for getting an even light on the blade so you can see all the pattern and not have the blade be dark on one end.

thanks for looking!

0willowraven75.jpg

0willowraven64.jpg

0willowraven66.jpg

0willowraven67.jpg

0willowraven69.jpg

0willowraven78.jpg

0willowraven82.jpg

0willowraven84.jpg

0willowraven87.jpg

Edited by Jake Powning

Glorious Jake, Glorious!

I am very happy to see this. Congratulations to work well done. Must be a great feeling having guided this treasure ashore from the wild sea of dreams.

beautiful. i love the restraint of the pattern, the lines and the ornamentation. that piece of oak rib looks like it would be stressful to carve - looks like it was wanting to chip out on you. nice work my friend.

thank you Peter! thank you Jake! it was chippy but too cool not to use. imagine, this handle was once actually part of a viking ship! that'll confuse the archeologists in a thousand years :lol:

WOW! :blink:

That turned out even better than I'd suspected it would, which is saying a lot... :lol:

Gorgeous work, and the fact that the grip was once part of a Viking ship is pure magic if I've ever heard of such. Bravo! B)

WOW! :blink:

I second that WOW!

Man, that is a beautiful sword.