minimum filter shade number for forge welding

bronzetools

I have been doing some searching on google and I seem to get a lot of different advice on the minimum safe shade number for forge welding. Some people say a shade 3 ,others a shade 5,some say none at all. While I always wear some form of safety glasses when working, I would like to also be able to view the color of the metal and a shade 5 makes it fairly tough.

Thanks Steve Leonberger

Thanks David for the direction.

Alan had a very clear summary of what I need and it is probably alreadyon my head and in my woodworking shop right next to every saw . I will check the specs. on my clear glasses.I don't know why my search did not produce the other thread ,Oh well... Thanks again

Steve

there is very little UV at 2300 F unless somebody knows otherwise. there is alot of IR.

2300f = 1533K

So this leads me to ask the quetion what is the best bang for the buck in IR protection as well as UV protection. Surely there must be someone out there that specifically makes glasses for this application. (IR Protection) My eyes are bad enough I don't need to screw them up worse!

Then I won't be able to hear or see! :o

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

So this leads me to ask the quetion what is the best bang for the buck in IR protection as well as UV protection. Surely there must be someone out there that specifically makes glasses for this application. (IR Protection) My eyes are bad enough I don't need to screw them up worse!

Then I won't be able to hear or see! :o

To quote Arthur from that thread David linked above,

I've never used any glasses while forge welding,but this thread got me thinking....so I checked out the Rio Grande catolog and they have a green #3 with IR protection for $11.50 a pair.. seems like a bargin...their part# 201-252

B)

While doing a little looking around to see what I'd get if I needed a new pair, I found these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/s212.html . These would be my choice, since the flip-up shade allows one to use the shade only when necessary while still keeping your eyes protected at all times. Plus they've updated the styling a little bit so you won't look as much like a mutant moth as mine make me look. :rolleyes:

I wear prescription glasses as well. I sent my old safety glasses off with my prescription to a company that specializes in that sort of thing, and they put new clear lenses ground to my prescription in the frames. I had them add UV, IR, and antifog coatings as well. Now I don't have wear two sets of glasses at once. The frames with flip-up green shade cost $35, the new prescrition lenses were about $40. Not a bad deal, much cheaper than cataracts or glass eyes. B)

Last night after reading other threads and replies to this one I decided to look for specs. on safety glasses and found a good web page that stated the UV ,IR , and VLT(visible light transmittance) ratings for Uvex glasses .

The page is at My link

It seems that the VLT relates to how well you can see the true colors and is somewhat inversely proportional to the IR rating.In the lower shade numbers you can see better but have less IR protection(Shade 2:IR-85% ,VLT-35% Shade 3:IR-91%,VLT-14%)

as opposed to a higher shade(Shade 5:IR-97.5%,VLT-2%).

I had about 24 small (3/16" X 1" X 3 1/2") 1095 plane irons that I was heat treating and I wanted to keep a close watch on them so I would not overheat them . I was working in low light to see the color better and I found that a Shade 5 created what I considered an trip hazard due to reduced general visibility. I ended up using a Shade 3 and using a little more light at a greater distance from my forge. I am still not clear as to what is a tolerable level of IR exposure but I am sure even 85% is much better than none.

Steve

Edited by bronzetools

To quote Arthur from that thread David linked above,

B)

Interesting to see ones self quoted........Get the Rio Grand Jewlery Supply catolog...They have two different glasses with UV & IR protection, both about ten bucks both work great...highly recommended.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

I just ordered these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sw11-ir5.html

I had been wearing safety glasses that I believed were infrared blocking. Turns out that some safety glasses use a Milspec rating that has the acronym "IR" in it. It means "impact resistant." So, my glasses weren't blocking any infrared. Doh!

What I really want though is a pair of steampunk looking goggles like Uli wears!

post-1250-1203190532.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sw11-ir5.html

I had been wearing safety glasses that I believed were infrared blocking. Turns out that some safety glasses use a Milspec rating that has the acronym "IR" in it. It means "impact resistant." So, my glasses weren't blocking any infrared. Doh!

What I really want though is a pair of steampunk looking goggles like Uli wears!

post-1250-1203190532.jpg

Thanks for all the intelligent, thoughtful replies.

IR. You need to watch out for that one. Cataracts can be corrected with surgery, but retinal damage, is rather permanent, I'm affraid. :(

Dave, I love those too. :D

Hey all:

The glasses I ordered (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sw11-ir5.html) are too dark. I got the IR 5 rated lenses, I should have gotten the IR 3.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com