D.H. Russell Belt Knife

Hessian

Today the owner of the local farrier supply center came by to give me the run down on the forge I purchsed from him. As I showed him my meager start at tools I showed him a knife I was going to use for scraping the metal after removing from the forge. We at the time had been speaking about quality when it comes to tools. The knife I stated to him had great balance and felt like a tool when held.

He laughed as soon as the knife was in his hand. Someone who wants to become a bladesmith and doesn't know when he is holding a piece of Canadian history, although I can tell what quality should feel like.

Needless to say out of respect to the builder I was thinking of trying to fix some of the ravages of time. If I could have some suggestions on how one would start to returning a blade or stopping some of the decay. This blade has sat in my garage (unheated) in a tool chest for well over ten years while I have been away.

Gotta give credit to the builder he knew how to shape something in a way that gives confidence to the user that the tool is capable of the task.

Thanks in advance and I searched but found it difficult to find the proper words used for refinishing.

IMG_8030.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8020.JPG

IMG_8035.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn't do anything to it. Anything that you do is likely to reduce any value it has. The bumps and bruises are part of it's history. Oil it and bring it into the house. Don't store it in the sheath, leather promotes rust. Use it in good health, or try to find a collector to pass it to.

Just my .02 (usd)

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Id go with what Geoff said ..

i wouldnt do anything actually to it ... no more clean up than what your finger and a spot of oil could do.

then keep it aside and look upon with great affection ..

or pass it onto someone who would do so.

but, thats just my seconded opinion.

^_^

deeDWF4.jpg

Yes, Wild Rose it's a #2 Trout and Bird knife. Although, I think the blade is before they started full production on the East coast. If I'm correct then it was made by Russell and not Mr.Grohmann.

Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a light cleaning with Hoppes and decide if it shall be shop use or returned to storage.