Multi bar composite stainless seax

Richard Furrer

Hello All,

Here is an all stainless composite blade..see drawing for the particulars on what the cross-section is on this blade.

The steels are the proprietary steels from Questek (http://www.questek.com/) which is a first principle design company with strong ties to Northwestern University. Over the years I have forged a bit of this material and done some pattern-welding with it, but this composite was a new venture earlier this year with some students from Team Dragonslayer engineering students from the Mat Sci Dept of Northwestern Univ and Prof Greg Olson.

As a prototype it is what it is..the twists are drawn out a bit too far and the blade proportions are not what I would prefer, but..it welded and forged. (but yes it is a bit on the fugly side, but hey..what does your stainless composite look like eh?))

Some of that starting stock came to be as 3" round bars so there was quite a bit of processing in the beginning.

I am not aware of others doing work like this with stainless, but would like to hear about it if there are. Most stainless I see (other than what Doug Ponzio in Southern Wisconsin is up to with his Turkish) I see is single weld and manipulation..this seax is a true multi stage re-welding.

I could see doing some more complex and longer pieces like this in the future should there be an interest....hey a stainless Bamburgh sword.

I will not comment on how I welded the steels or the chemistry of those steels..sorry.

Ric

quest 1.jpg

quest 2.jpg

quest 3.jpg

quest 4.jpg

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Interesting... Is that as contrasty as it gets? Or is that even etched at all?

Fear not, I have no desire to do stainless, carbon steel is hard enough for me. ;) Plus I spent today making some coppersmithing stake anvils out of 1" square stock by hand, so I'm not up to any more heavy forging for a while. :lol::wacko: