Lamey

first "finished" integral W2/Ceylon Ebony

This is the first "finished" integral ive made, ive forged several, but never gotten around to finishing one until now. This blade was actually forged over a year ago, just havent made the time to finish.

Any how, forged from a bar of 5/8" W-2, 7" blade, 11-7/8" overall, Ceylon Ebony handle. Fun to make, going to be doing more of them. Learned a bit making this one, the hardest part for me was figuring out a good way to grind them, specifically transitioning from the bar to the blade... tricky.

A few pics-

100_4179.jpg

100_4181.jpg

100_4182.jpg

100_4191.jpg

That is really nice, clean work. I like the crisp transition line between the bolster plunge as contrasted with the smooth lines of the overall knife.

Nice Hamon too.

Very well done.

--Dave

What a beauty that one is!! Just nice, gotta build something like that myself.

Nice one! Good to see you around again, too. Keep 'em coming! B)

Wow that's fantastic looking. Great shape and choice of materials. The ebony is really nice.

I thought integrals would be less trouble, but its difficult to get those grinds from the bolster to come out right. I keep getting little dips just past the transition. Which means evening them out will take meat off the blade. :(

Looks like you nailed it. I like the flat on the bolster.

Thanks guys, toxonic i know the exact issue you are referring and I had the same thing... just took a little while and carefully blended it all in. Ive seen guys use several methods, one was a half round file, they just cut the transition by hand (I do believe this was Nick Wheeler.... leave it to Nick to do it the "perfect" way).

Ive seen one or 2 just roll the edge of there belt over the edge of the platten and grind the transition contour that way.... seems a bit tricky to me but i may experiment with that.

Some use the cool little Integral grinders like Uncle Al sells, its basically a platen that is runs front/back, up where your idler pulley is on a regular grinder. The end of the platten has a 5/8" or so weel so you get a nice even transition from plunge to blade flat, PLUS all your "scratches" are running evenly from plunge cut to tip. THIS IS WHAT I WANT if i do many more of these integrals.

What I did on this one was cut the plunge in with a 2" wheel, then carefully blend the flat in by hand and rotary platen.

anyhoo, it was fun.

That's really a pretty knife. I'd like to feel it. It looks like it would be really nice in the hand.

Very Nice Matt. I really like this one. You're finish work brings a certain "cleanliness" to it.

Shawn

A very good lookin knife, Matt..!!! Integrals are not easy, at all.

What a beautiful knife! Very nice clean lines. I love integrals. And I love steel + ebony - a monochrome look.

So far I have made only damascus integrals but looks like monosteel blade is even better - no disturbing pattern and all the beautiful lines are clearly visible

Transition from blade to handle is a bit tricky to do, even more so if a ridge line is involved :D . But with care and patience it's possible.

I use a combination of Dremel and stones to get it right. Still it's time consuming.