Twisted W2 and Kingwood

Karl B. Andersen

This Take-down Andersen Forge Hunter is 512 layers of twisted W2 and 203E.

It also sports some Bronze for the guard.

I hot blued the blade, and the contrast with this amazing Kingwood is something a person will either like - or not.

There's a reason for the combo. These materials are the same as the ones used in the customer's recurve bow.

This was my first experience with Kingwood, and I am just truly thrilled with it. It worked and finished well, and luckily, I bought more when I started this project.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Winter!

bh3-1.jpg

I fall into the category of liking it. I like the blued blade. I have used cold blue on a couple and really like the look. Haven't gotten into doing any hot blue. Looks great.

The photograpy is great as well.

CUSTOM KNIVES BY JL RHODES

JLRKNIVES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you. I thank God every day for the freedom to spend time with those I love, and time to pursue this craft.

"Adversity is a test for strong men."

"What one man can do, so can another."

"NO excuses, just do better next time."

Nice knife Karl. I keep looking back at the twist, nice job. I see fingerprints in the pattern. That kingwood looks like a classic rosewood. Winter's going pretty good so far. Haven't had to shovel any snow yet.

Thanks for showing it, Craig

That is a beauty! I love the whole thing, that Kingwood is off the hook!

Peter

Hey Carl, how much snow did you get out of that last storm? We got 12" and a bunch of sub-zero temps to boot.

Peter, we were right off the bottom of that weather anomaly. We only got down to about 9 degrees and just a skiff of snow - but you can bet it's coming!

Nice knife Karl. I keep looking back at the twist, nice job. I see fingerprints in the pattern. That kingwood looks like a classic rosewood. Winter's going pretty good so far. Haven't had to shovel any snow yet.

Thanks for showing it, Craig

Do they even sell snow shovels there?

Do they even sell snow shovels there?

Hey Karl,

The little ones are pretty easy to find. They kind of squish them down and repackage them in tubes. Call it sunscreen, and charge crazy prices for it. :huh:

Go figure, Craig

Very nice.

I love working with Kingwood too. Great grain contrast.

I like the low twist/high layer count pattern too. One of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

That's really beautiful. I like everything about it.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

I really like this! The hot bluing in great. Does it wear off with use? The contrast in colors, the grain of the wood, and the "grain" of damascus make it look really spiffy. I also like you website, lots of info and inspiration.

So far this winter has just been rain for me, in fact it is raining now... :unsure:

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."