This cable tanto is officially the first knife I have made :)

It has been a while in the works and I finally finished the polish today. Doing almost everything for the first time was a great learning experience. The blade is far from perfect. There are a large number of welding flaws, the kissaki and ko shinogi could be much improved, etc. As I had never polished with stones before, I need much more practice with keeping all the lines straight. The hamon started to look quite nicely once I was done with the last stone. However, I was really amazed by the remarkably more distince appearance of the hamon after using iron oxide. Anyway, here is the picture.

TantoFinal.jpg

I originally posted this as work in progress and Dan Pfanenstiel posted on my shallow heat treating and his help with fixing it.

This cable tanto is officially the first knife I have made :)

It has been a while in the works and I finally finished the polish today. Doing almost everything for the first time was a great learning experience. The blade is far from perfect. There are a large number of welding flaws, the kissaki and ko shinogi could be much improved, etc. As I had never polished with stones before, I need much more practice with keeping all the lines straight. The hamon started to look quite nicely once I was done with the last stone. However, I was really amazed by the remarkably more distince appearance of the hamon after using iron oxide. Anyway, here is the picture.

TantoFinal.jpg

I originally posted this as work in progress and Dan Pfanenstiel posted on my shallow heat treating and his help with fixing it.

nprovos

I'm not much for the tanto but I think you did a great job with that one, keep it up...

Splendid! I love the hamon!

WOW That turned out way nicer than my first or fith knife. As long as you are never completly satisfide with your knives you have what it takes to be really good at this. Great job. Make and post more. :D

Steve

Wow, that is an awesome first knife "I'm jealous" hope my first knife turns out half as good.

This really shows a remarkable understanding for someone so new to the craft. While it may not be perfect, your next one will be better, and you can look back on this one after a few years and smile.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...