Sign in to follow this  
Hurl Vreeland

1st knife in a very long time........

I used to visit this forum quite often many years ago. I delved heavily into the Japanese polishing and went way overboard. I burned myself out rapidly in the process and basically quit making knives for a couple years. Fastforward to about 2 weeks ago and I had an old bare blade in my tool box at work that I used to cut packing with (fibrous, impregnated material used to seal pump shafts with). I thought what the hell and finished it in about 2 weeks of 1/2 lunches at work. Cut out the sheath and tooled it a bit and stitched her up. Everything is handmade by me.

It's going to be a gift for my Son who is joining the Marines.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6778/1st12012009copy.jpg

The stats are:

1080 steel, selectively hardened at 4 1/2".

Elk antler handle and capped with a piece of Snakewood.

Nickle Silver for the guard.

I'm want to ease back into it and it was kinda cool how the techniques stay with you and you cruise right into it.

I also have to say the quality of knives I see here today is amazing.

Anyhow, compared to alot of you all my work now seems a bit simple but it is functional.

Anyhow, take care all..............

Good to see you back around! I was looking through the oldest threads on the forums last week and your name was one of several that popped up and made me think "Hmmm.... Wonder what ever happened to him?"

It's like riding a bike, you never forget how, but you sure do get sore quicker than when you used to do it all the time, eh? B)

nice... its reminds me abit of that bird n trout type Moran knife... seen some pic's on the net...

think your old nic was " Blackboogers" ... ;) don't worry, weeeee remember..haha

take care and you haven't lost it

Greg

Yeh, Blackboogers. That didnt last too long. More like black fingers now. Years of wrench turning is hell on your fingers. They only come clean competely when I'm on vacation. I've been away a bit so my knife looks kinda old school.

I really got into messing with the hamon stuff and got so focused with it I lost the bigger picture.

Like making knives.

Got to creep slowly....................

Welcome back.

I didn't make knives for 18 years and started again about a year ago. Don't worry, as Alan said, it's like riding a bike.

Your knife looks good. Nice and clean joint at the bolster/blade intersection.

My only criticism would be that the handle appears a bit large for the blade. Also, I would consider dropping the back edge of the handle so it is flush with the top of the blade.

The burl and the stag go well together and the white spacers are a nice touch.

Again, welcome back.

--Dave

Nice little knife welcome back.

Bob

Welcome back!