All,

I'm thinking about getting a surface grinder. I've seen several used on Ebay, but am a little worried about buying and shipping a used piece of equipment that I'm not able to view in person before I buy it.

Does anyone own or have used one of these: http://grizzly.com/products/6-x-12-Surface-Grinder-w-Stand/G5963

It looks like a pretty good deal. For another $300 you can add a magnetic chuck.

I have literally never used or seen a surface grinder in use, so I really don't know what I should be looking for. The one thing others of the forum have recommended is to get an auto feed. However, all the auto-feed versions I've found that aren't really old/used are over $10k.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Dave

what do you want to do ????

I want to turn billets into consistent thickness barstock for greater precision in multiple component projects (like the battle axe I'm working on).

The rolling mill you made me gets very close, but it would be nice to get a truly flat, parallel bar.

All,

I'm thinking about getting a surface grinder. I've seen several used on Ebay, but am a little worried about buying and shipping a used piece of equipment that I'm not able to view in person before I buy it.

Does anyone own or have used one of these: http://grizzly.com/products/6-x-12-Surface-Grinder-w-Stand/G5963

It looks like a pretty good deal. For another $300 you can add a magnetic chuck.

I have literally never used or seen a surface grinder in use, so I really don't know what I should be looking for. The one thing others of the forum have recommended is to get an auto feed. However, all the auto-feed versions I've found that aren't really old/used are over $10k.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Dave

Dave,

I have this model. It's a very popular model with knife makers due to the price, and it runs on 115 Volts, single phase. You can get the same machine from Harbor freight for $1000.00 or less. It is sold by a lot of company's from $1000 to $3500. It's a good little machine. I haven't had mine to long but you could probably do a half of thousandth with it. But most guys change them over to use a belt. I just posted about that a little while ago, and there are links that show how to do it. That's my next project. Its slow going, but you will have perfectly flat. I have in the past used my mill/drill with a face mill to do the same. There are other things you will find it useful for. If you want your ricasso tang junction to be perfectly parallel so you can do a press fit guard, for one. I'd love to have a full auto one, but I don't have the money or space for a big machine, and this one works great for what I do. It's just slow. So you sit down, relax, and take your time. Its not that bad at all. So I would say go for it. get it from Harbor Freight and save some money, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Tony G

Oh! If you get it, make sure you get the stand with it. The stand has a hole in it. There is a counter weight for the head that hangs into the hole and moves up and down when you raise or lower the head. Other wise you will have to cut a hole in a work bench, but the stand is designed for the grinder and everything fits together. It just makes things easier. Good luck.

Tony G

Dave,

I have this model. It's a very popular model with knife makers due to the price, and it runs on 115 Volts, single phase. You can get the same machine from Harbor freight for $1000.00 or less. It is sold by a lot of company's from $1000 to $3500. It's a good little machine. I haven't had mine to long but you could probably do a half of thousandth with it. But most guys change them over to use a belt. I just posted about that a little while ago, and there are links that show how to do it. That's my next project. Its slow going, but you will have perfectly flat. I have in the past used my mill/drill with a face mill to do the same. There are other things you will find it useful for. If you want your ricasso tang junction to be perfectly parallel so you can do a press fit guard, for one. I'd love to have a full auto one, but I don't have the money or space for a big machine, and this one works great for what I do. It's just slow. So you sit down, relax, and take your time. Its not that bad at all. So I would say go for it. get it from Harbor Freight and save some money, and I think you'll be very happy with it.

Tony G

Tony --

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Thanks too for the tip on Harbor Freight. That will save me some $.

I've said it before, but: This forum rocks.

Merry Christmas.

Dave

I have had great results using a cupped 320 grit SiC stone on my milling machine. A four bit carbide fly cutter works to knock down the big stuff and the SiC stone leaves a nice finish. It's not a surface grinder but more then adequately cleans up steel to tight tolerances.

I've got a small surface grinder but much more useful is my modified horizontal mill.

IMG_04131.JPG

Very Cool set up...I've seen many Horizontal Mills scraped in the 1980s thru 1990s when manufacturing ceased in the USA..Back then in industrial areas Bridgeports were selling for under a grand with digital readouts!!!

Dave,

for what you are going to use it for an old surface grinder will work perfect.... you don't need a $10,000.00 machine cause you are not in "business" but you should be able to find an old one for a thousand more or less.... there may be less of them up your way but if you ask around you may find one....the grizzly will do what you want but you will get very tired of cranking the handle.... very tired.... to the point you will avoid using it cause you don't have time.... If you were willing to spend money to buy a roller mill to save time( not the only reason I know) then my guess is you will get very frustrated with cranking that handle..... there have been two occations when the belt on mine broke... I could still grind but I had to crank the table back and forth.... I mean how bad could that be? I got sick of it REAL QUICK.......

the one I have is a preWW11 model.... called a Reid It is worn but perfect for what I need... the table is mechanical drive... the newer ones are hydraulic driven table and get a smoother cut ... one of the reasons they are more expensive... but you may run into a newer one for cheap... Some times going new is worth while but I think old and used will serve you much better if you can locate a grinder with auto feed....

Put on some old forging clothes after you have worked in them and go around to the local machine shops and show them some of your work and tell them what you are looking for... I bet it wouldn't be too long before you run into what you are looking for... also most will have a three phase motor on them ...don't let that stop you... the three phase is so it runs smoother ( and cheaper for industry). I swapped a single phase motor for the three phase mine came with and it works fine for what I'm using it for....

what ever you choose you will need a "diamond dressing tool and holder" ...it will make the grinding wheel "true" and is a MUST.... and you will also need dust collection.. a mask will work for you but the shop will get trashed if you don't suck the dust coming from the wheel... another nice thing about the older ones is that many have been built to have the means to suck the dust.... the newer ones that have a wet cooling system are usually self contained ....

Good luck .... and think hard about it.... a manuel is going to cost you big in the amount of time over the long run.... I think you get my drift..

Dick

Thanks Dick.

I remember you telling me about the need for auto feed earlier. I've done a fair amount of searching on ebay for a used model that has auto feed. In most of the cases it's not the cost that worries me, but the footprint of the machine.

As you know, I work out of my garage. While it's a fair sized space, I've taken up almost all the space I can while still being able to get my truck in when the temp falls below zero. THe grizzly machine looked like a good choice because it only has a 36" x 33" footprint. On the other hand, I've found good deals on ebay like this one, that simply wouldn't fit in my current shop.

I have seen that some have made their own auto feed modification to a manual surface grinder:

Has anyone else done something like this?

Thanks again for the advice Dick. I do appreciate it.

--Dave

The homemade feed looks real nifty..my only question is that it seems to move on the X axis only not the Y axis..so you would still have to stand there and watch it and give a crank every minute or so..unless I'm missing something..

The homemade feed looks real nifty..my only question is that it seems to move on the X axis only not the Y axis..so you would still have to stand there and watch it and give a crank every minute or so..unless I'm missing something..

I think you're right.

Dave..Are you giving any thought to a "belt conversion"?? On this same forum "Tool & Tool Making" about 30 post down you'll find that subject [on page 2]I have my technique and pictures posted there..you might want to take a look...arthur

Dave,

I know what you mean about space.... you could put it on wheels like your press.... If you could see that DO ALL running like you got to see the griz conversion in the youtube you'd be making a platform with wheels.... that youtube conversion is neat but like Arthur said it only goes in one direction..... that DO ALL that is up to $1100 (whatever it was in the ebay add) looks like a nice machine.. I'd do for it..... BUT

Maybe it's time to build Mouse a new house biggrin.gif a nice BIG one to strech the legs and have growing room to fill out in , with a insulated heated slab floor.rolleyes.gif.... I'm sure your wife would agreelaugh.gif Maybe you could give a corner to you daughter and it could become a "Club house" too.... mellow.gif

you know...your wife just might go for it if you promise not to forge with your daughter at 2:00 in the morning anymoresleep.gif And you would be....

cleaning up the garage at the same time!!!!biggrin.gif

in the long run you will be frustrated with griz but I hear you about space... Did you notice the "dust collector" he was using in the youtube vid?

Oh and if you get a grinder with out cooling mist (you run it dry in other words) you want to use a course Ruby wheel .... I think mine is a 40 grit....has what is called an "open" grit.... It is made for dry grinding ... the finer grit wheels will burn... I've already made that mistake...

Dick

Come on Dave, you know that oversized giant tools look great sitting around the yard in Alaska, they are much more "Bush" than refrigerators, :D

Im guessing it wont be long till your moving out of the garage and under a new shop roof as quick as your getting tooled up. Good luck on your quest for a surface grinder. I saw a small machine shop sold on Craigs List just out of Anchorage last year when I was looking for tools on the net.