I just got my order of 15n20 in and found it 8" wide when I requested it be 1 1/4. Of course when I called just now nobody will be in to talk to me till next week. All I can say is Wow, no wonder it was 300 bucks. I am mad right now, on top of still being sick as well as my son who has decided to act up today from the get go. I am more than mad actually I am livid. This is my second time ordering from Admiral and my only request from people is that they do whta they are asked when I am paying them for a service. This might turn into a rant about the service industry as a whole and nobody actually does work anymore let alone care about their work. ARGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH and to top it off I asked for 5 bars of 1080, they sent me 1075....granted its only 5 points of carbon but DAMNIT I ordered 1080. I am very disappointed.

Edited by WmHorus

I feel your pain... I no longer do business with them either. Dirty, recycled crap that may or may not be what you ordered.

Aldo meets most of my steel needs these days.

I need to find that spec sheet they sent with that "1095" they sold me, it could be seen as either tragic or humorous... :angry:

Seems how you're here in Washingtion I would suggest ordering from Kelly Cupples. I usually order precut 15and20 and 1080 in 6" sections. So all I have to do is stack and weld. He is very easy to deal with. He lives in Yakima area and his contact info is (509) 949-5231 octihunter@charter.net. Aldo is also very good. Hope this helps.

Steve

Their paper work only shows 8" wide, I specifically told the girl over the phone 1 1/4 I have no idea where she got the 8 from. I mean wtf am I going to do with a 8x60 15n20 sheet? I cant cut it, I dont have the tools to deal with it, and it would cost me MORE to head into tacoma to find someone to do it. I am just so angry over this I spend 437 bucks and they fudged the order up bad. I'd have 15n20 coming out of my nose till the cows come home.

As I recall, when I ordered from Admiral, I used the online blade steel store, and the 1075 was combined with the 1080. They didn't specify that you would receive one or the other.

Your piece of 15n20 cost 300 bucks? What thickness?!? The store lists it as 8 inches wide, but it only costs $30.

In general, I hear pretty good stuff about Admiral steel. My only problem was that I ordered too big a piece... and that was just my fault. :rolleyes:

its all the same size except I asked for 60 long so I can match it to the 1084 I got from them. The point is I asked for it 1 1/4 and got 8". And I specifically asked for 1080. They obviously cannot follow directions. If you cannot follow Directions you dont deserve my money. It is all about doing what the customer wants. I got 5 bars of each my total bill was 437.

Edited by WmHorus

Admiral is a good company if they have something you need. You do need to realizes they are dealing in tons and we are dealing in pounds so we are lucky they will still take small orders as many large companies will not. I totally understand you being unhappy with this situation and you will probably be better off dealing with people who specialize in small orders.

Do you know any place around you with a waterjet? that woud take car of your problem pretty quick, there are other options too. Trying to send it back will just end costing you time and money so you may be better of shelving it for now and finding exactly what you want and getting just enough to complete your current project.

Currently I have about 500 pounds of Blade Steel and a couple tons of scrap in various sizes, some of it in tools. Before its over you will end up with loads and loads of stuff too. Sorry you didn't get what you needed or wanted but its not a total loss as its great steel.

If its eight inches wide you could also come up with a nice little full tang design and send it to a local waterjet and have it cut into blanks which you can finish and sale, lots and lots of options. I know a guy who cuts out blanks with a hack saw so where there is a will there is away. Plasma cuts good but leaves some clean up work, same with a LPG Cutter.

I've always been happy with Admiral, But I always stick to the blade steel online store. Forgefire is right Admiral's 1075 and 1080 are the same and are listed as such on part of their site.

Sorry you had a experience.

I think I have finally calmed down enough to think more clearly, I think being sick and agitated all day had taken its toll on my nerves. Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think that mainly I am upset with the fact that what I asked for I did not receive. It is not to say that it is either good or bad steel but more of a what do I do with it issue. I don't have the tools to cut it and the closest place that may be able to chop it up is over an hour away. I just like things done right the first time, it just is going to take alot more effort to to be able to use it now. I just need to think about it a bit, though I probably should not have sent them an angry email, I didnt say anything bad I just was venting frustration over the situation and asking how to return the steel.

I've ordered from Admiral without problems, but I've heard enough complaints over the years that I do consider them a little iffy. There was that famous problem with them advertising L6 and shipping 8670, which just ain't right.

You can cut it up with nothing but a angle grinder. All you need is a cut off wheel on it and get it in a vise or clamped down. Me and another guy did that one day when we made a couple pieces of san mai and didn't have a bandsaw or anything.

Its a pain in the back side but you can also cut it up with a hack saw as it should be pretty soft the way it came. Just keep dripping water into your cut to keep your saw teeth hardened. I have cut 6mm Stainless and 6mm DC53 which is basically D2 with nothing but a hack saw.

There should be a plasma cutter around you somewhere, that will zap right through it if your going to make Damascus anyway. Just mark the lines, use a guide (A Straight Edge) for your cuts, then use a angle grinder to clean up any scale and your good to go. I'm confident you will figure something out and make the steel work for you, just take a deep breathe and think. This is only the first of karma checks as a new Bladesmith, many more are waiting just around the corner,,,,,, :)

They should have told you they ONLY ship 15n20 as an 8" wide strip. I got a 8" x 12" sheet from them once and cut it on a bandsaw. If you go that route, be sure it's a good bandsaw blade! The cheap blade I had barely scratched it, but it showered me with the teeth as it merrily stripped 'em off... :rolleyes: A good blade ate it like it was nothing. If you decide to keep it, you can also look for a metal shop with a big hydraulic shear. That would be the most mess- and waste-free way of cutting up that big sheet.

Anymore I get my 1084 from Aldo and my 15n20 from Kelly Cupples, both in 1" strips.

Sorry for your disappointment, man. :( For the record it annoys me as well that they don't really seem to care what the spec sheet says when it comes to labelling thier steel. They did once have some 1095 that came with some serious alloy banding as-provided. That got some folks all excited to see that wootz-like effect on stock-removal blades... :rolleyes::lol:

Sorry for your problems..Glad you stepped back looked at the sitution and realized it's not the end of the world......Now find a sheet metal shop with a shear...All they have to do is set the back gage to 1.25" and shear your 8" sheets ..the whole process will take [including set up] less then a half hour and will cost alot less then shipping....Most sheet metal places have shears at least 8'your sheets are only 5'....And have a Happy and Healthy New Year!!

Well I decided I am going to sammich my 1084 bar which is 12 long between 2, 8" of the 15n20 and forge weld from there when I get around to getting it cut. Admiral did email me back saying if I want to send it back thats fine, but they really doubted their employee made the mistake, which irked me a tad. But I did apologize for my being angry and am thinking about what to do.

Man that's bad PR. It's too easy to appologise for the misunderstanding and try to straighten out things the best that you can. I was always told that it didn't matter as much who's right as it does the customer feeling better and, unless there is a tape recording of the phone call, it can't be proven one way or the other. Unfortunantly, Admiral customer relations seems to be spotty. The problem that they had over the L6 was a problem that they had with THEIR supplier. They thought that they were getting L6 but was getting "almost" L6. Unfortunantly, what we generally have available in this country is recycled steel not a product from a "virgin" melt. Aldo is good enough to get the steel he offers assayed and what he posted for the last batch of 1084 was really "something like" 1084. No disrespect to Aldo, but it had a bit more than a trace of other metals in it, and as I recall, the silicon was pushing 30 points. That's not nearly as high as a silicon alloy like 9260 but that's a fair bit. If you want the product of a virgin melt that has approximately 84 points of carbon (for 1084), some manganese and very little else, it's probably going to have to come from a foundry in China and they notoriously have poor quality control and shakey business ethics. According to Ed Caffrey, steel is no longer "made" in the U S of A.

Doug Lester

Admiral is a good company and knife steel is such a small part of their business, I'm surprised the still deal in it.

I get all my 15N20 from Kelly Couples and 1084 from Aldo Bruno. Aldo's 1084 is a lot better steel than the 1075/1080, which usually has a much lower carbon content.

There is nothing wrong with 8670. People have used it for years with no complaints thinking that it was L6. Actually it's not that far off the mark and different foundrys' L6 tend to have a slightly different assay anyway.

Admiral also has a catalog listing separate from the online store list. This tends to be slightly more descriptive and it was how I found out that some of their 5160 was actually 9260 which didn't appear on the online list at that time, it has since been corrected.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester

I bought some of the L6/8670 when they first started selling it. I used it in damascus and thought it sucked, didn't etch right. Welded fine and performed fine, just looked bad. Come to find out, it doesn't have enough nickel for good contrast.

I also used it for my JS performance knife and it passed with flying colors. So yes, it's a good blade steel but it is actually not that close to L6, similar though.

I just happened to click on the Admiral knife steel catalog and there it does clearly state that the 15N20 comes in 8X12" sheets. However, the on-line store lists it as 8X36".

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester