HT quenching question

I have a HT question. Does the volume of liquid used have an effect on the quench? As an example, let's say I have a 3.5 inch 5160 blade, and I'm going to quench in soybean oil. I have a quart, half gallon, and gallon container for the oil. What, if any, is the difference? The greater the volume, the great the heat displacement, correct? So is there any practical difference? I'd assume the quicker the blade is cooled, the better. I'd also assume agitated liquid is better than calm liquid. Is there a cheap way to agitate the liquid during quenching?

i think lesss oil would actually quench faster, as the heat being absorbed would lower the viscosity making it draw more heat quicker to a point. too little oil could flash however, so preheating a large container is probably preferable.

where in oregon are you? we may be neighbors :P

I have a HT question. Does the volume of liquid used have an effect on the quench? As an example, let's say I have a 3.5 inch 5160 blade, and I'm going to quench in soybean oil. I have a quart, half gallon, and gallon container for the oil. What, if any, is the difference? The greater the volume, the great the heat displacement, correct? So is there any practical difference? I'd assume the quicker the blade is cooled, the better. I'd also assume agitated liquid is better than calm liquid. Is there a cheap way to agitate the liquid during quenching?

you could use a cheap hand blender set on low some of the cheapy shops or pawn shops may have one for a few bucks make up a fitting to hook onto your quench tank too easy mate

hope this helps

tell

you could use a cheap hand blender set on low some of the cheapy shops or pawn shops may have one for a few bucks make up a fitting to hook onto your quench tank too easy mate

hope this helps

tell

Thanks, that is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Too small a volume of quenchant will not extract the heat quickly enough for the steel to harden properly. There probably is an optimal volume of oil to volume of steel but, there are so many other variables that it seems like splitting hairs to me. A larger volume of oil will allow you to quench many blades in sucession without overheating the oil, so, if you are doing production type work it is a consideration. Another way to agitate your oil is to clamp a palm sander to the container.

~Bruce~