stoning tutorial & index

Jim Kelso

I'm working on a new stone finish tutorial and have finally <_< indexed all my tutorials on one page.

Go HERE and click the "Tutorials" link.

I'm happy to hear suggestions on how to improve these or ideas for new ones.

Jim

Jim,

Looks good so far... I assume you are writing some text for all the photos? and that is why some of the photos have no text yet?

I like that idea about the sand blasting to see the surface better...thankssmile.gif

Dick

Thanks Marco!

Hi Dick. Yes, I'm still working on the text and a couple more pics.

I'll post a notice here when it's finished.

Thanks.

Jim

Edited by Jim Kelso

Pretty much finished with the stoning tutorial. I may add close-ups of gravers and rifflers if there's interest.

Stoning Tutorial

Hit refresh when you get there.

Edited by Jim Kelso

Jim, thank you for putting this tutorial together.

Seeing you work with files this way was an eye opener. I enjoy file work but have never used a file in this manner. As I understand it you use the forwards edge of the file almost like a chisel?

Do you think it would work using a scraping tool, like a chisel at 90 degrees to the surface, to remove material and level the surface?

It is incredibly inspiring to see work of this quality in various stages of completion!

Edited by peter johnsson

Thanks Don. Yeah, gobs of time in on this one.

Peter, thanks also!

Very good observation! Often when I have used some technique a long time I forget it may not be familiar to others.

A file is essentially a bunch of scrapers in tandem. I do actually sometimes put a face bevel on these pillar files something like a chisel face but very steep, around 80 degrees, again more like a scraper. A scraper could work well, but I always seem to get chatter. I think this is reduced by using the file, because more teeth are engaged, even if it's only two or three rows. Obviously the further away from the flat center area the less the file will be engaged.

The riffler I use has a curved tip which is ideal for around the carving, and I also use a small scraper.

i have always used a file like this, as a scraper, as the small points of engagement mean it goes where you point it, where a flat scraper will tend to follow the contours that are there. nice to see a master using it (Jim Kelso has been my second greatest artistic hero for as long as i can remember - after Caravaggio).

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

i have always used a file like this, as a scraper, as the small points of engagement mean it goes where you point it, where a flat scraper will tend to follow the contours that are there.

Exactly Jake. This side view photo shows how the Grobet pillar file has a bit of belly clearance, so you can engage a few rows of teeth. Even so I had to be quite careful not to nick the mimi(sounds like an Aussie phrase :lol: )

pillarfile.jpg

Edited by Jim Kelso

Hi Jim,

That's a real 'ah, ok' picture of the pillar file. I don't want to impose, but I'll ask. Do you have any closeup pictures of your gravers, rifflers or scrapers that you'd like to share. You do amazing work.

Take care, Craig

• 2 months later...

Great Jim,

Great Stone, Fantastic Done..

There are too much more thing wait to learn, after i met your work, met you.

9 Dragon metalworks - http://9dragonmetalworks.com
--- The more traditional, the more modern

Past Projects: www.etsy.com/shop/handmademetalworks