Sign in to follow this  
DFogg

ITC100

ITC100 isn't something that seems to be available in the UK, or at least I can't find it, and no alternatives have been suggested to me so far, but from what I can tell it seems to be a modified glaze with reflective properties. Would it be feasible to substitute it with a high temperature reflective glaze like a tin glaze? ???

I like that thinking. What is a tin glaze?

it's a type of pottery glaze that contains tin and is reflective... fires in the 1200C / 2200F range

The European distributor is Scarva Pottery (scarva.com or scarvapottery.com I think) in Northern Ireland, but the prices are high, 30 or 40 £ for a pint tub if I remember correctly (I didn't get any :( ).

What does the tin glaze reflect?  According to Ron Reil ITC-100 is an IR reflector.

you if you look in to it :P...

it gives a reflective metallic glaze for pottery ..... does exactly what it says on the *tin*  :P  :D

£40 for a pint tub? ... yikes!! ...... at £4 for half a kilo of powder .. it might be worth giving the glaze a go

True, but insulating wool isn't exactly cheap, remember to try it on a sample first- don't want some adverse reaction reducing your shiny new forge to a puddle of goo in a metal tube!

Yes Mum  :;):

it's a good point David, but i am Mr Careful .... plus i've got 3.6metres of wool to play with ..... on the plus side the Superwool Max seems to not give off any airborne particles at all, much friendlier than the other fibre insulators I've been around.

Anvilfire.com sells ITC100 here in the states for about $25 a pint. I order tea from England maybe you can order refactory from here....fine grain white powder going through customs?

On second thought maybe not :D

Yellow Hammer

I think that the problem might be more going the other way .. have you ordered any of that tea since the 12th of December? ... new federal regulations for importing into or exporting to the states require FDA approval for all food related products. i tried to send a friend in NY state some chocolates and was told i couldn't without clearing it with the FDA.

[dunno]

I've been reading up on the ITC-100 according Reils page it has Zircon in it.

A Pottery friend of mine uses water-glass and talcum powder.

water-glass) is sodium sislicate.

the kiln wash products here in the Sates (to protect the kiln from aggresive glazes) is an alumina based product.

Got any worn out Zircon belts?

:D

they also do Zircon glazes :D ... but the tin is whiter and a higher firing temp .. in fact they do 100s of glazes with almost anything in it .. titanium glazes are also white and reflective

I've got some "shiny tin" here but not got around to testing it yet ....... when i do I'll post the result ... firing temp is 1290C

Here's an "eqivalant??"  [dunno] Made in Singapore

fibrecoat

Here's a link to the patent office info on a clayart thread

Clay art

cool links ... thanks sweany

It's an interesting idea, let us know if it works.  My one quibble would be that since the pottery people supply me with my ITC 100, one would wonder why they wouldn't have twiged to a much cheaper alternative already.  But heck that's the joy of scrounging:  "little do they suspect..."

For what it's worth, the ITC 100 I got given in a little bottle wasn't all that white.  Dried to a very pale grey in fact, about the same shade as:

Don Fogg Custom Knives » Hot Work » ITC100

field around the above.  Unless they scammed me with some everyday mud, I don't think it is the whiteness that is doing the trick.

I would tend to agree with Protactical.  ITC-100 is an IR reflector- how much visible wavelength radiation is reflected won't necessarily 'reflect' (ho ho) its performance.