My first blade

Well, after many months of occasional work in a friends shop, I've finished my first blade. Here it is:

Blade 16.25"

LOA 23.5"

Wt 2 lbs

The blade is 5160, triple normalized and quenched in oil. Tempered at 400 for 2 hours. Bloodwood handle (five coats of linseed and 2 of wax), brass guard and pommel.

IMG_0013a.jpg

P1010611.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

It's nice to finally have something to share. Sorry I suck at photography. All comments are welcome. If I had it to do over, I'd have read the advice to beginners posted on this forum and not violated basically every rule (start small, start simple). However, I'm extremely happy with the outcome.

Also, more pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/godzilka/FirstBlade#

Nice!

very cool overall shape. Crisp clean lines, & looks like a mighty fine chopper.

Cant wait to see more :)

wow thats good,for a moment there i thought you made the edge on the wrong side but now i see why.i take it this isnt your fisrt ever forging?and finshing of something

wow thats good,for a moment there i thought you made the edge on the wrong side but now i see why.i take it this isnt your fisrt ever forging?and finshing of something

Hey Shadow smith, nope, this is a first for me. I made some armor in the SCA about 20 years ago, so I have some history of metalwork, but I don't find many overlapping skills.

As for the edge, it's much clearer in person. I took probably a hundred shots, but none really show the blade shape. There is a false bevel on the top that runs about 40% of the blade length, and the bottom is all edge. It's just really hard to see in the photos.

Very nice first blade. With the SCA experience you have an advantage over many with the experience of knowing how to use the blades. Baron Wulfric Strongbow

nice looking first blade.

:)

i like the brass against the wood ... it remimnds me of all those nice european wood working tools that are way to spendy for me to ever think of buying :)

they always seem to have rosewood against brass

and i agree ... having a feel for a sword or blade in general can give you a better insight as to what you want to put into your designs.

:)

look forward to seeing more.

This is very, very good for a first blade. Bravo! Sort of a Gladius meets Seax!

I am especially impressed with the meeting of the blade with the bolster. That area requires a lot of patience. Well done.

My only criticism would be that the handle is too "chunky" for the blade. Perhaps this is an effect you were looking for (the Gladius thing), but overall I think it would look better with a slim handle to match the slim blade. This, however, is a matter of taste.

Impressive start. Welcome!

--Dave

Thank you all for the comments and kind words.

Sam and Dee, while I hadn't thought about it, yes, I suppose having some experience using blades does inform design (besides the SCA, I did arnis/escrima/kali when younger, with a bit of fencing and kendo thrown in).

Dave, I agree with your assessment. With the back of the handle, I was kind of going for the effect a zulu iklwa has, where the back flairs out so that were you to run someone through, as you pull out the back stops your hand from slipping off then end if the blade sticks. That kinda then translated to the front of the handle to balance it out, then I noticed it looked rather Gladius. My original intention was to rap the middle part of the handle with leather, but I can't bring myself to cover up the bloodwood. I also left the amount of wood I did for balance. The balance point is right where the blade and guard meet.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for the comments and kind words.

With the back of the handle, I was kind of going for the effect a zulu iklwa has, where the back flairs out so that were you to run someone through, as you pull out the back stops your hand from slipping off then end if the blade sticks. That kinda then translated to the front of the handle to balance it out, then I noticed it looked rather Gladius. My original intention was to rap the middle part of the handle with leather, but I can't bring myself to cover up the bloodwood. I also left the amount of wood I did for balance. The balance point is right where the blade and guard meet.

the iklwa handle is function over form, i think if the blade were longer/bigger it would be more visually balanced. i agree with you on the handle, don't cover the wood. very nice first. i would be happy if my first comes out half as good.

Edited by jason howard