Viking Dagger

jake cleland

well i have finally finished with this one. it's been hanging over me like a cloud, and i'm relieved more than anything. it's one of those pieces where it's been with me so long that it's hard to see past the things i could have done better, but when i try and look at it objectively, it seems to have come out pretty good. the package as a whole is pretty effective, i think...

anyway pics:

finished wolf 1.jpg

finished wolf 2.jpg

finished wolf 3.jpg

finished wolf 4.jpg

finished wolf 5.jpg

12 1/2" double edged fullered blade of sumigashi steel, etched and heat coloured. upper and lower guards of forged, fileworked and heat blued mild steel, with copper spacers. haunches, spacer and pommel of knotwork carved walnut, with the handle shaft carved with entwined jelling style beasts in antler. The sheath is figured sycamore, lined with felt and with a leather belt loop. the sheath has been carved with the gripping wolf knot from the shropshire hoard.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

man!! thats just amazing looking! thank you so much for sharing...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

Thanks Guys.

Tom, it's dark here now, and my camera doesn't cooperate indoors, but it's pretty simple - when i gouge out the hollow for the sheath, i drill a hole through the back, and inlay a 5mm nut inside the back of the sheath, which gets covered by the lining. finish the sheath normally - the lining stops any grit getting in the hole, and then attach the belt loop and two washers with a 5mm allen bolt with a spot of locktite - it allows the sheath to pivot on the belt loop a bit.

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Amazing! I certainly don't see anything wrong with it.

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

Wow, that is impressive... excellent work!

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

That is stunning Jake. Congratulations.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

That is stunning Jake. Congratulations.

--Dave

thank you. this essentially ammounts to about a month of work, and another two summoning the balls to put it all together. hopefully i will now get the chance to make some nice wee pieces, and maybe even a proper integral. but for now i'm drinkin' a beer and listening to The Boss...

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

Jake ,

it was great watching the WIP thread .... Thanks for posting more pics of the finish... After you get away from it for a while you will be able to see why we all think you did a great job... It's Hard to be objective about something you put so much effort into....

It Really came out good, thanks for sharing it,

Dick

Tom, it's dark here now, and my camera doesn't cooperate indoors, but it's pretty simple - when i gouge out the hollow for the sheath, i drill a hole through the back, and inlay a 5mm nut inside the back of the sheath, which gets covered by the lining. finish the sheath normally - the lining stops any grit getting in the hole, and then attach the belt loop and two washers with a 5mm allen bolt with a spot of locktite - it allows the sheath to pivot on the belt loop a bit.

Jake, you clever devil! I just might have to steal that idea....

Thanks!

Just remember ..No raiding or Pillaging allowed.. LOL..Great Viking Dagger !!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

That's absolutely exquisite. I don't care how long it took you to finish it, it was well worth the wait. Be proud!

Hammering away at reality.

Absolutely beautiful, well done.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.