well i have finally finished with this one. it's been hanging over me like a cloud, and i'm relieved more than anything. it's one of those pieces where it's been with me so long that it's hard to see past the things i could have done better, but when i try and look at it objectively, it seems to have come out pretty good. the package as a whole is pretty effective, i think...

anyway pics:

finished wolf 1.jpg

finished wolf 2.jpg

finished wolf 3.jpg

finished wolf 4.jpg

finished wolf 5.jpg

12 1/2" double edged fullered blade of sumigashi steel, etched and heat coloured. upper and lower guards of forged, fileworked and heat blued mild steel, with copper spacers. haunches, spacer and pommel of knotwork carved walnut, with the handle shaft carved with entwined jelling style beasts in antler. The sheath is figured sycamore, lined with felt and with a leather belt loop. the sheath has been carved with the gripping wolf knot from the shropshire hoard.

Jake, I only see two problems with it: I didn't make it, and it's not living at my house right now. Excellent job! :D

By the way, how is the leather strap fixed to the sheath? Any chance of a photo of the back?

Edited by tsterling

Thanks Guys.

Tom, it's dark here now, and my camera doesn't cooperate indoors, but it's pretty simple - when i gouge out the hollow for the sheath, i drill a hole through the back, and inlay a 5mm nut inside the back of the sheath, which gets covered by the lining. finish the sheath normally - the lining stops any grit getting in the hole, and then attach the belt loop and two washers with a 5mm allen bolt with a spot of locktite - it allows the sheath to pivot on the belt loop a bit.

That is stunning Jake. Congratulations.

--Dave

thank you. this essentially ammounts to about a month of work, and another two summoning the balls to put it all together. hopefully i will now get the chance to make some nice wee pieces, and maybe even a proper integral. but for now i'm drinkin' a beer and listening to The Boss...

Jake ,

it was great watching the WIP thread .... Thanks for posting more pics of the finish... After you get away from it for a while you will be able to see why we all think you did a great job... It's Hard to be objective about something you put so much effort into....

It Really came out good, thanks for sharing it,

Dick

Tom, it's dark here now, and my camera doesn't cooperate indoors, but it's pretty simple - when i gouge out the hollow for the sheath, i drill a hole through the back, and inlay a 5mm nut inside the back of the sheath, which gets covered by the lining. finish the sheath normally - the lining stops any grit getting in the hole, and then attach the belt loop and two washers with a 5mm allen bolt with a spot of locktite - it allows the sheath to pivot on the belt loop a bit.

Jake, you clever devil! I just might have to steal that idea....

Thanks!

That's absolutely exquisite. I don't care how long it took you to finish it, it was well worth the wait. Be proud!

Absolutely beautiful, well done.