Langsax research

On 9/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

What a great find! It is amazing to me how the wood managed to survive so well.

It is nice to see that modern seax makers were on the right track with making fancy carved handles.

Well, not really. Unless you mean Swedish style seaxes. But there we already knew that fancy carved handles were used. For other regions, the archeological evidence still points towards undecorated hilts. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@peter johnssonposted this on FB today and I know a bunch of interested folks here don't book the face, or even if they do, it is rare. So I saved the photos and copied the text with the links and bro

I love how a single find can destroy the conventional wisdom.  Because every other seax handle that survived until now was long and mostly undecorated, we assumed they all were.  And here's a short on

It's a swedish sax, a very different breed than the English and continental types which had the ridiculously long handles.  It's not the only one of this type to have a decorated handle either, it's j

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Jeroen Zuiderwijk said:

Well, not really. Unless you mean Swedish style seaxes. But there we already knew that fancy carved handles were used. For other regions, the archeological evidence still points towards undecorated hilts. 

Ah good to know, I really like the long handles on continental saxes, so i'm glad those are still historically right.

The main thing that struck me about this find is that the handle looks so much like it came straight from the workshop of guys like petr florianek for instance.

2 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

The main thing that struck me about this find is that the handle looks so much like it came straight from the workshop of guys like petr florianek for instance.

Funny thing is, I was thinking more of @jake cleland

• Like 1