WI area get together

Michael Pikula

I've decided to have a bit of a get together at my place once the weather lifts and wanted to throw the idea out there. I'd like to gauge interest at the moment and see how many people would be interested. There is plenty of room to pitch a tent in the woods and a hotel less then a stones throw away for sleeping. Bonfire at night will be a must, I'd like for everyone to bring some kind of a blade that they have, or have made, to do some test cutting and think it would be nice if we could share and cut with each others blades to really get a feel for the different work out there. If there is interest in doing a smelt I can help arrange materials and what not, and the shop will be open for any work that you would like to do.

If there are enough people interested and we can get a plan together then let's do it!

id be intrested, but i doubt that i could find some one to give me a ride, or find time to go.

Karl

a tall glass of milk... just a quenching medium for hot cookies.

heck, Id be willing to go, when do you have in mind?

Gnáthamh na hoibre an t-eólas

(Knowledge comes through practice)

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

my site: http://lfcforgeworks.webs.com/

id be intrested, but i doubt that i could find some one to give me a ride, or find time to go.

where do you live ?

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

Its more of a when issue, i also realized that i have bladesmithing type friends who just got their licence, so i could probably get a ride.

Karl

I'm in depending on the date. I haven't had the time to get much forging time in the last year with work and moving some large equipment so I don't have anything interesting to bring along. I have some misc. supplies for making wootz I could bring along.

• 1 month later...

Got a date yet?

How about some of your free dates so we can try to plan around them?

IHave a ride now. just need dates.

Edit:

I also have 2 friends who are enthusastic about hitting hot things, and have attempted to use a sledge correctly, and have a base knowledge of blades, steel workings, They might come.

Edited by K Freier

Karl

Forgot to ask, What kind of Equipment do you have in your shop, is there any need for a port-a-forge type setup to be brought, and is there anything that youd need someone to bring?

Lets get a list of things going.

I got a wolf jaw tong , an 8Pound sledge, a half finished sword, and I could probably rig up a break drum type forge to bring, do you need people to bring hammers,files and such?

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be a pest but I was wondering on the date you are looking at to have this event.

Right now I am pretty open to having the event in June, only weekend that doesn't work for me is the first weekend, other then that I am open to see what works best for everyone else.

Right now I am thinking about making it pretty low key, more of a get together then a hammer-in.

Friday night nothing would be going on but you'd be welcome to come out, and set up camp and hang out by the fire.

Saturday, meet and greet, showing and sharing work, do some test cutting with various blades, talk about what is going on as far as cutting technique, edge geometry, and what not. If someone brought a heat treated blank we could try putting different edges on and seeing how it would effect performance. I could fire up the oven out back and we could try to smelt some crucible steel if there is much interest. I think in talking about cutting and geometry, sharing shop talk, and shop stories we can play it by ear as see were the day leads.

Sunday, if we do a smelt I think it would be good to try to forge out what we made and see if it stays together or not.

I'm open to suggestions, comments and thoughts.

Sounds like a good time. Depending on date, I would be interested, especially since you are so close. I may be sailing this summer, but if I am around, I might come by. Keep us posted!

m

Ancora Imparo

Alright, I am going to plan on the weekend of June 18-20. If this date doesn't work for too many people I am open to switching the weekend although this should be figured out in the next couple of weeks. Let me know how that weekend works and we can write it in to give everyone time to mark their calendars.

I should also mention that I'm not asking for any kind of a fee for the event, if everyone brings a blade, some objects for cutting, throws in a bit of food, I think we should be able to cruise through the weekend just fine :) and will be a great place to build next year from.

So let me know if the dates sound good, and if there is something that you would like to see added to the event and we can take it from there!

• 2 weeks later...

that date seems workable for me, what accomodations are around if this is to be a all weekend event? may we pitch a tent somewhere?

it is free for me right now I hopefully will have finished my sword by then

Karl

• 2 weeks later...