Sign in to follow this  
sickbugs

FORGEBEQUE

old bbq grill, line it with clay with a pit on the inside for burning your fuel. way to get a flow of air to it (piece of 2 inch steel pipe with a hairdryer on the other end works) umm .. what are you going to be burning? wood, charcoal, coal or gas? think it all through before u rush into something.. i chose wood because its what i can get a lot of cheap, but i spend a lot of time now cutting the wood, pretty much 1 day chopping to 5 days forging(which i dont mind because its good excercise) also think about what your going to make your blades out of. collect all your tools, that would be everything u could need !!! and dont forget  a good pair of gloves either (i got a few nice burns from red hot metal and im new to this too, so gloves are very important)

oh.. if your using a hairdryer as a blower, buy one!! dont use your moms  

dont limit yourself to a forgebque tho, don has plans for a forge made from adobe on his site, i havnt made one yet but plan to try it out because my current forge is dying (limestone blocks +heat = limestone blocks crumbling) if you know a welder who is willing to help you out for free, u could think about a gas forge too, once u can get the insulation.. read all you can online about everything related to bladesmithing and blacksmithing, and pay attention to fitting handles because believe me when you start you will wish u had read even more !! every day i learn new things and wish i had known them a couple of months ago.

it seems to me that bladesmithing requires a great deal of Humility, dedication, patience, hard work, research, humility, patience, more dedication, more patience, even more humility,even more patience.....

and so does using the search function  :P

you'll find people have answered these questions over and over again ..... and it's not a simple thing to answer ..... no one can do it for you. Your enthusiasm is nice to see and it's a start, but now put some hard work in and research. What most people have learned here has taken years, if not decades for them to learn it, and they can't give it to you in a single post ....... but what these forums do is, they provide a place to accumulate that knowledge, and they've put it all there in the search function for you ....... let your fingers do the walking  :)  ... if the answer hasn't already been given, then come back and ask it, but sometimes we've got to find our own answers in this world, in fact, that's what makes it fun.

Guest Tai

If you do a search in this forum you should find some stuff.

Also, Check the "tutorial section" of taigoo.com. I have some pics and diagrams over there.

It's a real forge. :)

sickbugs, limestone CaCO3 + heat makes CaO or lime, you're halfway to making either grits or mortar depending on what you add next. Better living through chemistry!  :D

cheap, ain't nothing cheaper to build than a forge.

check this out

lawnmower forge

borrow your sister's hairdryer

I built one from wood and mud  :)  :P  :D

:D

thanks for mentioning that Sweany

I've still got it, have used it several times out in the yard when I couldn't wait any longer to get the main forge put back together after moving. The threads rusted shut once on the cleanout cap, so I tore it all apart and rebuilt a bit better, I would tape the threads to slow the rust if I could find where I put the teflon tape. Instead I give the cleanout a turn every few weeks to keep it from rusting shut again. The filling is scrap cement board pieces covered with yard clay mixed with ash and gravel. It works for coal as-is, for burning charcoal or wood I put a couple pieces of firewood parallel on each side of the grate to let me have a deeper narrow fire in between.

put some maalox on the threads.

:)

You mean there's some difference between grits and mortar?  [wtf]

You mean there's some difference between grits and mortar?  [wtf]

Yeah, Mortar has a flavor, grits do not :laugh:

thats butter and runny eggs are for - fixing up the flavor of grits

lol  :D yup thats the future of my forge  :P i'll probly pound it up eventually and use it in the construction of another forge :P

Well that explains that!

After you prepare the recipe below use a good sturdy trowel

to lay a thin layer between each block. Be sure to clean the

blocks before the mix hardens. This recipe works better than

the standard grits recipe.

Grits and Cheese Casserole

Best of the Best From Georgia

4 cups milk

1 cup grits

1/2 cup butter or margarine

2 eggs, well beaten

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375°. Bring 3 1/2 cups milk to boiling point. Gradually stir in grits; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir until melted. Stir in eggs, baking powder, salt, and remaining milk. Pour into 2-quart casserole. Bake, uncovered 30 minutes, then sprinkle grated cheese over top. Bake 15 minutes longer.

Serves 6 to 8.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

hmn looks yummy  :D Georgia eh? remind me not to eat any strange looking cassarole that was made in Georgia..  :cool: