Kerrystagmer

Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In 2010

Please consider joining us for the 2010 Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In and Smelt on March 12th.-14th. 2010 in Historic Marriottsville, Maryland

Jesus Hernandez and Tony Swatton will once again be our featured demonstrators. Additional demonstrators and lectures will be happening all weekend. We will have forging on our power hammers as well as metal casting. Event will be at our forge (Baltimore Knife and Sword Co.) and the Church/Studio next door (Fire and Brimstone Studio).

Additional confirmed demonstrators we will be working into the schedule include Jeff Pringle, Skip Williams, Deker, Larry Nowicki, Chris Price, Kerry and Matt Stagmer. If you are a demonstrator or are planning to come and have something to share, please touch base as we would like to pack in as much information as possible for attendees. As always we will try to allow as much hands on with demonstrator oversight as possible.

We will be limiting attendance to 60. Registration will be $65 for the entire weekend to offset our costs. Vendors and tailgating is encouraged at no additional fee and will have separate parking, trailers allowed.

Please visit our site http://www.fireandbrimstone.com

The site will include accommodations, Schedule, and Artists/Demonstrators. We are still rebuilding the site but it is live now and registration is open. I will be talking to the local hotel to see if we can get group rates. Breakfast and lunch are provided, grills are open for anything you wish to bring or share! Camping is encouraged but weather in Maryland is always suspect! The first year we had snow, last year it was down right warm and sunny. There are bathrooms(spot-a-pots) but no showers.

We will be updating the site often as we confirm additions to the event.

l_2d2293bcb12085c8c7e81af27851c168.jpg

l_bd332aa7a48f4488d8cccb9e1c7ee386.jpg

post-1272-1240907963.jpg

l_e596b8ecb54818042f111781738c11f2.jpg

fb20095a.JPG

l_bf056b474f2698304df0b911e33d8d5e.jpg

feather1a.JPG

l_bb767b8c8cf650069bfa84d3a46f259c.jpg

post-1431-1239158807.jpg

l_69b6e59cc55cc508d57e0a1226a7734c.jpg

l_b7b77867f1fba47f5361ef224d114095.jpg

hammerin13a.JPG

fb200913a.JPG

weddinghammerin090.jpg

Can't wait! Hope I can carpool with someone, damn 7 hour drive almost killed me! You guys should move to NY :D

I am not going to miss it this year. Just registered.

Hopefully, I'll have some toishi for sale. If not, I'll definitely be bringing my collection if anyone wants to give them a try.

-Jim

Since we moved a week before the Antique Arms Show in Baltimore I expect we can get several collections of great samurai and european stuff here as well.

There is a very good collector of Persian arms here in Baltimore and I'll bet he will bring stuff since the weekends dont conflict.

Looking forward to it, guys. I'm re-startng my shop with some smaller things, but I hope to have some work to share.

As Kerry has said, I'll be there and demonstrating again. I believe John Larson from Iron Kiss will be bringing out out hammers and maybe a hydraulic press as well.

I'm taking requests for what folks would like to see with regard to pattern welding. Something you've always wondered about? Want to see done in person? If you speak up now I may be able to get everything prepped to show you.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again!

-d

Can't wait. I plan to talk and demonstrate about hamon and look forward to seeing everyone.

Jesus, if I can get my katana filed by then, you wanna heat treat it? It's from the 2008 smelt we did there... ~200 layers.

Truth is, I'm scared to.

I just ordered toishi, so I will have some for sale. There will be an Aoto, 2 Iyoto (next order), 3 Renge Uchigumori (ranging in hardness from Jito to Hato), and a pile of Iyo slurry stones. I will also have a good bit of material for finger stones as well.

If anyone is interested in just trying out natural polishing stones, I'll bring my collection.

-J

Chris, we'll do. Kerry, any chance you can build a quick long heat treating forge out of a water tank and insulating blanket? I will bring the burner. I plan to have two tanto-sized blades that will be ready for clay coating and heat treating. There will be a raffle first and two attendees will get the blades. This will be hands-on. The winners will get to do the clay-coating and heat treating Saturday night under my watch and keep the blades.

May be Jim can polish a window next day on one of the blades to look at the hamon...

Thats sounds great Jesus! I cant wait for all that good hamon juju. We will certainly build a new quench tank if needed.

I also dont know exactly what I will be doing for the Hammer-In. I want to be a bit more focused on finishing some stuff out this year. Get some more finished blades at least.

I have always wanted to have a bunch of us do a small part and have a finished piece to show at the end. I am sure we can come up with something. Maybe a wootz and tamahagane core wraped in Deker mosiac viking blade... hmmmm

Kerry and I have a few new things planned this year and I think it will be a special year and I cant wait to see you all again.

Oh yea, Welcome back Chris !

Matt, was that you last year with the gun case with the katana you made, that you so graciously let me cut with, then showed me up?

I'm thinking about having a stock removal event knife. Heres the idea, I cnc plasma a blade for each attendee that everyone will get to grind and heat treat at the event. Its a simple thing to do and if its not too big it would go very fast. That would give us 50 to 60 examples of a knife all made by a different maker. No rules other then a pic has to be sent back to us on completion.

I figure about half of us are knife makers and can do this extremely fast. The other half can get tips an pointers from the experianced group. Maybe a specific buddy system or get a few ringers who go around the group for some one on one time. I do have a couple ABS guys in mind, but anyone could be involved.

Its not forging, but a fairly easy way to keep everyone involved. I already have the material so its a very little cost thing. Maybe mark them all FB 2010? That way everyone goes home with something they can hold and show.

That sounds like a really cool idea Kerry! Wait til you see what I did with the seax I won in the raffle last year!

An update on what stones I'll have for sale, since the order is officially on the way here.

1. Small Aoto. $25

2. Honyama Uchigumori Hato, 70 x 190 x 30 mm. $180

3. Honyama Uchi-Hato, 100 x 240 x 18 mm. This one will probably ride the edge of kumori & uchigumori finish, but I'll know more once I receive it. $180

4. Honyama Uchigumori Jito, 105 x 235 x 25 mm. $200

5. Various Iyoto slurry stones. I don't expect any of these to be more than $10 each. Again, I'll know more when things arrive in about two weeks.

6. Quite a bit of material for making finger stones. I've not decided on the price yet, but it'll be reduced for this event.

The stones I'll be bringing (my own collection) will be these:

1. Iyoto Uebi

2. Shobu Sugoro Kumori

3. Shobu Sugoro Kiita Kumori

4. Takashima Karasu (uchi hato)

5. Honyama Aisa (uchi jito)

6. Aoto

7. Soft Takashima Kumori

8. Finger stones

9. A couple of cheap coarse stones

Oh, and Jesus...I don't know that my skills are up to massaging one of your blades.

-Jim

I -wish- I could go to this... but alas a student in Canada just can't afford that time off... nor the drive out there... But I'm sure there will be tons of pictures!

I have always wanted to have a bunch of us do a small part and have a finished piece to show at the end. I am sure we can come up with something. Maybe a wootz and tamahagane core wraped in Deker mosiac viking blade... hmmmm

I'm game for something like this, bt probably not a mosaic, there's no way I could get done in time. I could certainly work out a billet for an edge wrap or something.

I've been debating what to do. I was thinking about Viking multi core style construction, but I have yet to actually finish one, so I'm really not the right guy to do it, but hey, when has that ever stopped me from demonstrating something? :) Part of what I'm doing will be decided by what toys John is bringing from the Iron Kiss shop. I know he's coming, but he hasn't decided what he's bringing yet.

-d

Out of curiosity, is there anybody coming from around, or passing nearby to Blacksburg, VA? I'm looking for somebody who may be able to carry a kiln up for me :)

-d