WIP Damascus Billet

Gary Mulkey

I spent the morning yesterday making a damascus billet and thought it might be fun to make it into a WIP. It's a little difficult to run a forge and camera at the same time but I got these pics during the process. Hope you like them.

I started with 25 layers of 1080 & 15N20. This is the preheat.

WIP%20damaqscus%201.JPG

Applied borax.

WIP%20damaqscus%202.JPG

Bringing it up to welding heat.

WIP%20damaqscus%203.JPG

First press. I do a light press the first time then back in the forge. The second time I will put a harder squeeze on it.

WIP%20damaqscus%204.JPG

First cut.

WIP%20damaqscus%205.JPG

Folded for the first time. :) I got a little off of dead center.

WIP%20damaqscus%206.JPG

This is the billet after four folds & welds (200 layers). I stopped there. Haven't decided what pattern to put into it yet.

WIP%20damaqscus%207.JPG

:D:D:D It's sure nice to have 40 degree weather to step into occasionally after being in front of the forge all morning.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I got started on the handle fittings. I decided to use an old wagon tire for both the guard & butt cap. This will be the first of this particular tire that I've used. Hopefully it will have some interesting character. I think that I will end up NitreBlueing them.

wagon%20wheel%20guard001.JPG

WIP%20guard%202.JPG

wagon%20wheel%20guard003.JPG

wagon%20wheel%20guard006.JPG

wagon%20wheel%20guard007.JPG

wagon%20wheel%20guard008.JPG

Hope you like.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

While doing the various normalizing & H/T to the blade I got started on the handle. I have been saving a pair of beautiful giraffe bones scales that I got from Sandy McClure that will be going on this one.

Glued scales being drilled for mosaic pins. I didn't trust the glue to hold them together and decided that mosaic pins might add something.

WIP%20handle001.JPG

rough ground:

WIP%20handle002.JPG

polished (side view)

WIP%20handle003.JPG

top view (black spacer between scales visable)

WIP%20handle004.JPG

Hope you like it.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

This afternoon I worked on the handle fittings.

This is the forged bar from the antique wagon tire.

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer001.JPG

drilled handle spacer

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer002.JPG

ready to grind to shape

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer003.JPG

fittings ready to blue

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer004.JPG

I decided to NitreBlue both fittings

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer005.JPG

I stopped the process at 490 degrees which is the point where it changes from dark straw to blue.

I managed to get some of both colors. Hope that the photography shows it.

WIP%20guard%20&%20spacer007.JPG

WIP%20finished%20guard%20&%20spacer.JPG]

Hope you like it.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I decided to add a little 3-D to the spacer today.

WIP%20finishing%20spacer001.JPG

WIP%20finishing%20spacer002.JPG

This gave it a little natural iron color to go with the NitreBlued finish.

WIP%20finishing%20spacer003.JPG

Back to the KMG for post H/T profiling.

WIP%20finishing%20spacer004.JPG

Ready to remove scratches from the blade.

WIP%20finishing%20spacer005.JPG

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Great post Gary,and Thanks...also a good looking knife..It's always fun and informative to see somebody else's techniques...many of us work alone and we get caught up in "our way"..I very rarely get a chance to see other smiths work and I don't think another knifemaker has ever been to my shop.I'm looking foward to watching your final steps.

At this point is your guard attached to the spacer?

Edited by Arthur

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

At this point is your guard attached to the spacer?

At this time they are separate. Before I attach the handle, I will pin the spacer to the handle. I normally don't attach the guard & spacer. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow which may explain more.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Since the guard had been NitreBlued, I didn't want to solder it to the blade and take a chance in scratching the surface while removing extra solder. So I decided to apply a moisture barrier of my own invention made from the following three ingredients:

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%201.JPG

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%202.JPG

Adding enough of the atomized stainless to make a thin paste (if you get it too thick you will reduce adherence). I like this better than JB Weld since it can be buffed shiny where JB Weld will remain an unattractive grey. It provides a very durable moisture barrier which is my main purpose.

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%203.JPG

After applying to both surfaces, it is placed in vice to cure. Extra is removed with q-tips & acetone.

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%204.JPG

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%205.JPG

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%206.JPG

Spacer is attached to handle with 3/32" pins

WIP%20attaching%20guard%20&%20spacer%207.JPG

I will attach handle to blade & guard this afternoon.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

That's a nice tip on the accraglas with stainless, thanks! B)

On the fittings, does the wrought iron grain show through the nitre blue? I can't tell from the pics. :huh:

Alan,

Since I forged the wrought iron, the pattern doesn't come through. I should have ground it to shape which would have shown the pattern better. (first time that I have tried forging it to shape) Oh, well. Live & learn.

Here's the final assembly:

Since I didn't give this one a butt cap, I have to attach it like a stag crown. (notice notches in tang). Once the AcraGlas sets and grabs those notches, it will be there forever.

WIP%20final%20assembly%201.JPG

WIP%20final%20assembly%202.JPG

WIP%20final%20assembly%203.JPG

And finally a large clamp. Remember, AcraGlas likes to be warm and won't set up in a cold shop.

WIP%20final%20assembly%204.JPG

I had fun with this WIP. Hope you did as well. Thanks for sticking with it and all of the nice words.

I'll post pictures of the finished knife tomorrow.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

:D:D My way of keeping the AcraGlas warm on a cold winter night.

warm.JPG

:D:D Too much effort in this one to have glue that doesn't cure. Luckily I don't have a wife to complain about bringing my work into the house.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Alan,

Since I forged the wrought iron, the pattern doesn't come through. I should have ground it to shape which would have shown the pattern better. (first time that I have tried forging it to shape) Oh, well. Live & learn.

I get the pattern to show after forging by etching the living crap out of it, like say 20 minutes to an hour in 4:1 ferric chloride. Of course, then it'd be a pain to polish it back up for hot bluing... :unsure:

Thanks for the WIP, I like the knife! B)

Thank-You Gary

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great WIP thread! Thanks for showing your process. The blade looks great.

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

• 1 month later...

gary, that looks great. I like the intermediate color on bluing, too. the professional photo is tops.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs