Sign in to follow this  
Matt Stagmer

French Hanger WIP

This all started when our old friend John came back to work with us last year. It didn't take long for him to get bit by the pattern welding bug and it is now time to finish his first pattern welded blade. We decided on a french hanger from the early 1700's because I want to do a fluted handle like that and because we are all fond of the clamshell.

cutlassWIP1h.jpg

The blade is 29 layers of 15N20 and 1018. It was forged by John and is being ground and polished by me. This will be a shop effort and will be fun. Its nice having dealers that are asking for pattern welded swords. Gives us room to try new things.

cutlassWIP1a.jpg

Here is the billet after the first weld and drawn out just a bit.

cutlassWIP1b.jpg

Getting a little dark out, the blade takes shape.

cutlassWIP1c.jpg

Here is the blade after HT and temper. Our blade shape is a bit more narrow then the antique pictured above, but it is still fine for the period sword that we are going for.

Looks cool, cant wait to see the finished piece, I have enough problems handling small blades, cant imagine what its like trying to keep the longer ones in line.

tutorial? :D

tutorial? :D

That's what I was thinking. I will document the process as good as I can. It will go quick, but it will be fun.

No, but you will at this year's hammer-in.

Here is the blade with the edges and false edge roughed in. You can already see the pattern through the 50 grit. Pretty cool.

cutlassWIP1d.jpg

cutlassWIP1e.jpg

cutlassWIP1f.jpg

Here is the blade polished and ready for etch. I think it's somewhere around a 800 grit.

cutlassWIP1g.jpg

Awesome! Can't wait for F&B.

Me too Sam! It is going to be a fun time.

Well, I gave the blade a quick etch, but I plan on etching it a bit darker before we are all said and done. I like the edge. Almost looks like rolling waves.

cutlassWIP1i.JPG

cutlassWIP1j.JPG

cutlassWIP1k.JPG

cutlassWIP1l.JPG

Now on to the hilt!

Well I have had my time sucked up with a big project and I haven't spent much time on this one.

I dont have any bone laying around so I started playing with some antler and I took pictures of the process.

Keep in mind that I did all of this fluting on the handle in about 12 mins on a sander.

hangertuthandle1a.JPG

Here is the rough cut piece of antler.

hangertuthandle1b.JPG

hangertuthandle1c.JPG

Here it is sanded to shape. Nice oval at the top and round at the bottem.

hangertuthandle1d.JPG

Here are the 4 start flute lines drawn in.

hangertuthandle1f.JPG

Here are the lines rough sanded in.

hangertuthandle1g.JPG

Here it is with a little more shape

hangertuthandle1h.JPG

Rounding over the flutes a bit more.

hangertuthandle1i.JPG

..and a bit more

hangertuthandle1j.JPG

Side view..

Still needs more shape to it. I am not sure if this is the piece that I will use for the sword or not. I like to leave my tangs beefier then most people and I am not sure if I left enough room at the top of this piece for a wide slot. I know I could just sand the tang down but I hate that. I may save this handle for a bowie. I am going to finish it out either way.

Edited by Matt Stagmer

I know its been awhile, but here we go.

hanger1d.JPG

Here we have John forging the billet for the clamshell.

hanger1h.JPG

Here is a little piece off the billet that John is now foring into the shell/thumb guard.

hanger1e.JPG

I decied to forge the knucklebow out of an Iron bar from an old street car.

hanger1f.JPG

Here is the knuckle bow after I rough forged it to shape.

hanger1g.JPG

Here you can see the flat that I added so I could slot it.

Much much more coming soon...it was a longggg day.

I wondered about this one, and was very happy to see it back up at the top of the page. I'm looking forward to more!

~Noah

hanger1i.JPG

Here you can see the antler handle fitted to the tang and the knucklebow coming to shape. I am forming most of the knucklebow just a tad warm. Not even red.

hanger1j.JPG

A bit more shaping.

hanger1k.JPG

Here I am slicing off a piece of wrought iron from the Oella Mill that I will be using for a butt cap.

hanger1l.JPG

There is my slice and my rough lines for the shape to fit the end of the antler.

I am going to keep this shape simple and let the beautiful lines in the wrought do the work for me.

Here is some more forging on the pattern welded clamshell and thumbguard piece. John once again on the hammer and I took it from there.

hanger1m.JPG

Forging by hand on the horn

hanger1n.JPG

Then to the Power Hammer for a few heats.

hanger1o.JPG

Rough shape before I started the finishing.

hanger1p.JPG

Here she is after chiseling and grinding.

We ended up deciding that we should have gone with a little bit higher layer to show the pattern better int he clamshell, but this one is still neat. The thumb guard was forged round so it has pattern all through it. More on that in a bit...

love the chevron chiseling on the clamsgell - not the most nautical, but very cool

Yes this isnt an exact copy of the historical picture above. It is more like "in the spirit of". I have paid close attention to both modern makers clamshells and historical ones. I have found all sorts of shapes and ways of doing clams. Some dont even have any chiseling, just the profile. I do them different almost every time. This is a first in damascus for some reason. Wont be the last.

hanger1q.JPG

Here she is all cleaned up. Ready to get scaley again...

hanger1r.JPG

Here is the rough form of the thumb guard

hanger1s.JPG

Here you can see the layered goodness and the rough fit.

hanger1t.JPG

Here it is with a nut holding it all together nice and tight. Few small fitting issues left to deal with and cleanup and etch.

hanger1u.JPG

Another angle

hanger1v.JPG

Wrought Iron butt cap in place.

hanger1w.JPG

Another angle of the butt plate.

Now all I need to do is slice a small piece off of that Iron bar that I made the knucklebow out of and make a small little nut to hold it all together. I will take that slice and drill it and then run a tap into it. Then a little shaping on the sander and a quick etch and I should be ready to re-polish and etch all the pieces.

OMG that is turning out so frikkin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot add enough exclamation points for how good that looks, i LOVE IT.

Thanks Sam. I am loving it. It is for a pirate so its not as nice and clean as the historical example, but I am loving it. It is going to be hard to let her go, but the one we are doing after this one is going to top it...easy!

Laviathon anyone?

Here you can see the clamshell all etched up. I used a 4.5 to 1 Feric. In for 20 secs out and wipe then in for about 20 secs and out and wipe then in for 2-3 mins.

hanger1x.JPG

Here you can see the clam cleaned and etched and I started to true up the flutes on the antler handle. You can also see the Iron nut that I made. I 8 sided flat faceted it on a sander and polished it out then etched it for about 30 secs to give it that nice old iron look. I will get better pictures of that process.

Here you can also see that I added a little slot in the butt plate for the knuckle bow to tuck under so when you tighten the nut the whole thing becomes a solid d-ring.

hanger1y.JPG

I went back and ground through the layers a bit more to show more pattern and I can honestly say that I am happy with this one. The next clamshell that we are working on is double the layers and should be quite dramatic.

Don't forget that this piece hasn't seen a file. Its all done on a belt sander. Everything from the fluting of the handle to the clamshell is all done on a 3x132 5Hp Bader space saver.

Now I just have some general fit and finsh and I will go back and re-etch the blade and I am done. I was planning on showing the wire inlay on this handle, but we at the shop agreed that this one is good as is and we will do that on the next piece.

That looks very good. At first I thought that the layers in the guard were a reflection. I cant wait to see it all finished up. I especially like your treatment of the antler grip. Great job.

Sean