RR spike Tomahawk

Stephen Stumbo

As a 16 yr old, self taught black smith, I am really excited to show off this tomahawk.

I forged it out of a RR spike, blade is the flattened head, spike is the other side.

Specs: entire tomahawk weighs 14 oz, handle is 16" long, head is 8" long (from spike to blade)

Handle is hand carved out of Red Oak and stained/sealed with a mixture of everclear and propolis Wikipedia page on propolis

Just the head of the tomahawk.

to keep the "authentic" look I wire brushed really well and heated before rubbing on beeswax, this procedure acheived the "authentic" blackish look.

This one is for me, but I want to make another one to try and sell. Before I do, does anyone have any ideas or critiques?

IMG_4251.JPGIMG_4261.JPGIMG_4263.JPG

Edited by oldanvilyoungmsith

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

Hello Oldanvilyoungsmith,

Welcome to the forums.

I think that the tomahawk looks pretty good. I would only suggest two things. I would curve down the spike slightly. Not much, maybe only an inch or two. I think that would make it more aesthetically pleasing. Also you should try to drift a more elliptical shape. You don't want round hole because it isn't as strong, plus the handle can rotate.

Keep in mind though that I also am a beginner. I am sure that some of the experienced smiths will chime in.

Where are you located?

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

I like the idea of curving the spike, I'll definatly have to try it. I'm also thinking of bumping up the bottom of the RR spike, making the blade from that and leaving the head as a hammering surface. So many sharp things to make, so little time :)

As to the hole in the head, I'm gonna try to make a less circly hole so it will stay on the handle better. But I don't understand, why is the circle weaker than a more elliptical shape?

oh btw, I'm located in NC, near Gastonia.

Eagleeyeforge.com

I took it out today and tryed it out, your definitely right about the shape of the hole, as soon as the head got loose it just spun when I hit something. Consequently, when I was out at the work table, putting on some decorative file work I decided to make the head stationary. Drilling a hole through bothe head and handle I put it a pin and ground (and filed) it flush. Some wirebrushing and wax made the pin blend in fairly well. overall, I'm pleased with how it all came out.

Here are some pics of the file work and pin.

Heres the file work, I did a triangle type design (sorry bout the bad resolution)

IMG_4272.JPG

This pic shows one side of the pin

IMG_4276.JPG

Eagleeyeforge.com

Olandvillyoungmsith, welcome that is a great piece for a beginner. I am one myself. One other way that you might try this is to upset the spike end and forge it into the edge, leaving the head as a hammer. If you are going to throw the hawk I wouldn't recommend pinning the handle because the handle might get messed up after a while and replacement would be necessary. Great hawk and welcome to the forums.

~Isaiah

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

If you are going to throw the hawk I wouldn't recommend pinning the handle because the handle might get messed up after a while and replacement would be necessary. Great hawk and welcome to the forums.

~Isaiah

I thought quite a bit about this, and decided I wasn't going throw it, because I already have a "professionally" made hawk I got for christmas several years ago and quite a handful of throwing knives (really easy to cut out mild plate steel) and the spike made it difficult to throw. And as all it did was get loose and spin when I hit something I decided to go ahead and pin it.

I really like the idea of having a hammering surface instead of a spike, then it would make a great litle camp axe and intend to try that next time I fire up my forge.

Eagleeyeforge.com

Well, I tried using paint to show what I mean.

This is like what you have....

round eye.jpg

And I was thinking you should shot for a hole more like this....

oval eye.jpg

It would be stronger just because you could have a bigger handle.

I don't think I was able to make my pictures work, I shall have to try again later.

Hogan Baker

Edit: What do you know, they worked :)

Edited by Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."