Anglo Saxon Inspired Seax

Mandy and I have finally goten ourseves moved in and settled down, so I could get around to finishing up some work. Here is an anglo saxon inspired seax that I made. The blade is wrought iron and leaf spring. The fittings are copper and bronze, and the handle is antler and african blackwood. The antler is carved with a gripping beast motif from the staffordshire find. I'll post more pics when I get the sheath finnished.

Cheers Jeff

anglsax 001.JPG

anglsax 002.JPG

anglsax 003.JPG

Edited by J. Helmes

That is cool .

The blade is nice but the handle is wonderfull .Especialy the carving .

Jeff - I agree with Dave, nice blade and really, really nice handle. I just love to see the carving that you and others can do to compliment the bladework.

nice,

Kevin

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Dave the spacer is twisted wire. I wrapped it around a copper disk and hard soldered it on. I dont know the name of the brand but it's some kind of copper silver tin mix I think. It came out a lovely bronzish colour.

It makes me so happy to see you back to work Jeff, maybe sometime in march or april i'll swing.

Beautiful, very well done.

Thanks again guys.

jake- I dont have a pic of the wire joint right now i'll see if i can get one up next time i'm in town. The joint is fairly clean I just made sure the faces sat snug and the solder took care of the rest.

Like Owen, I find my eyes drawn to the grip. Nice work! I like the way you used twisted wire. The effect can sometimes be difficult to loin in with the overall of the shape, but you created a happy marriage of form here!

Curious to learn more about that alloy.