Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Knife # 7 A Bowie ,at last POPS lets me make One "Darci"

Hi everybody its been a long time,i've been doing basketball,softball,school,dirt bike ridding ,and some knife making . So this is the story ,one morning about a month ago I got up with something heavy on my chest "again" and yes you guessed it ,it was a billet with a note on it saying find your dog he has a note for you ,it wasnt to hard to find "SPOT" he was right next to me i took the note from him "tied to his leg" and on the note it had three big bowies that POPs had drawn out and it said its about time for your big BOWIE .so i took the drawing and set them aside and made my own bowie ,i tried to make it like a kbar bowie knife i have seen before. and started .this bowie has a 9 1/2 blade and is 1/4" thick.and 1 7/8 wide at the biggest part. now i only worked on it for 30min. at a time for the last month,i hollow ground the edge and flat ground the swege "false top" and tried some of my first file work.its going to be a sub hilt with leather handle like the kbar.My Pops drilled the guards for me and put our mark on it for me but thats it.dont want to much help from the old man.HA HA HA.sorry its not finished yet but i hoping by the end of the week. i love the pattern of the billet. at last my first bowie.

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02370.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02380.jpg

DSC02381.jpg

The grinding is amazing, and the filework is pretty darn even. I'm very impressed!

~Noah

Beautiful work man. All the time you spent on it deffinitely paid off. I look forward to seeing it complete.

Darcy,

WAY TO GO!!!!!

very nice work, the grinding is wonderful. You're putting us

old geezers to shame. ;)

Bill

Hey all ,first of all THANK YOU FOR COMMENTS ON MY BOWIE. SO,Pops picked me up from school early today ,because i have my first softball practice and i go to school in another town where my mom teaches ,and i would be late if we did it at the real time.BUT as soon as i got in the jeep POPS said the glue on your bowie is dry we have time to shape it some with a big grin on his face !!!!!!! .so when we got home we sat and talked over how i should shape it and off i went to the grinder . have any of you guys just wanted to cry when you mess up something ??????? OK so i was crying when POPs came in the shop O MY GOD I thought he was going to have a heart attack ,he started yelling are you hurt where,where whats wrong ?????? i new i should not of left you in here alone then he said "s@#%" Your moms gonna kill me " i just looked at him and started laughing ,Poor man he was all mixed up."HAHAHA" after i showed him that i took the top of the handle down to much right after the first guard ,he said i'll tell you how to fix it the best we can,and said we never mess up being knifemakers it just a design change ,smiled and left me to myself to fix my "design change" any ways this is what i came up with.I still have to make a rear cap for it right just two old washers holding things together.and do some fine sanding,shaping.

DSC02396.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02398.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

Edited by Clint

Hi Darci,

Your Dad is right its only a design change :D but a good one

I love your Knives and this Bowie special, go on with the good work.

Wow Darci!! That is one awesome knife!!

Something to be proud of for sure.

Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing more from you.

Hi !!!!! this is Darci , last night after softball then after getting our B### beat in basketball i got home and POPS had the rear guard drilled for me i shaped it some .next I have to make a screw cap for it POPS said today he'd have a brass piece drilled and taped for me to shape ,butt i dont know if I want a pointy skull crusher end or a round end on it .anyways heres some update pix's .this weekend I'm going dirtbike ridding for three days so I'll sand on the knife to make it look good when i'm not ridding bikes .

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02404.jpg

Edited by Clint

I got the last piece added on last night the end cap POPS turned it on his lathe for me yesterday, i think it might be a little to big i might have him make it smaller not as long ,i'll try to sand it all nice this weekend that is if i'm not to tired after all the dirtback riding we do .three days of fun in the sand i'll try to keep the bike upright this trip HA HA HA .DSC02420.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

DSC02416.jpg

Darci, I know that I made this comment on another thread but I think that I needed to explain my self. Don't get me wrong, I think that you made a fantastic knife and the fact that you are new to knife making is even more fantastic. I think, however, that you lack a little ballance in the exicution of the overall package. Compared to the blade, sensuous is the only thing that describes it, the guard and butt cap are a little massive. I really like the contrast in the brass and steel that you used in the guard. If you had countersunk that but pommel and peaned the end of the tang into it a ground everything flat I think that it would have fitted in witht the whole theme. This is just something for you to think about. If you think that I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. As I said, along with everyone elso, a great knife.

Doug Lester