Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Buncha anvils for sale

Same guy, he seems to be unloading a shop

photo2.jpg

I still have NO financial interest here, just helping out

Geoff

Darn these computers anyway, they only do what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do biggrin.gif

g

Edited by Geoff Keyes

I think that you didn't mean "I still have financial interest here, just helping out". :) You may want to change that. Those are some very nice looking anvils, I shall be sending him an email.

Hogan Baker

he wants 1500 for the 400 lb hay budden, I dunno can get a brand new one for that price

Ok Ok I was exaggerating a bit add a few hundred more and the place up in Port Angeles I think has one.

But is it a 400 -hay budden-? Those anvils are wicked. The only type i prefer over a hay budden (If i get to choose :P) is a Peter Wright.

There are alot of decent anvils out there that are not Hay Budden or Peter wrights. I think people are paying for the name alone, or resale value. Not detracting from them being good anvils but if you found a 400 500 pound unnamed anvil wouldn't it be just as good? I guess it just bother the hell out of me that people ask so much money for them, even more for named ones when most smiths are poor and just want a nice anvil to work on. And collectors snatch them up hold onto them and instead of letting a working smith or aspiring one get one reasonably, they ask what looks like 3.75 a pound for a name. There literally are thousands of anvils out there collecting dust and rust because of someone wants to make a buck. I am sorry about the rant I just have very strong feelings when it comes to tools and outrageous prices attached to them.

Edited by WmHorus

Simple rule of thumb, especially involving anvils is that you get what you pay for. I find that the "no-name" anvils are inferior either because of the face or crumbling bodies or the two separating etc. My Peter Wright has a very good face for it's age and has many more years left in it (read decades) but I went through two "no-names" before my PW.

There are alot of decent anvils out there that are not Hay Budden or Peter wrights. I think people are paying for the name alone, or resale value. Not detracting from them being good anvils but if you found a 400 500 pound unnamed anvil wouldn't it be just as good? I guess it just bother the hell out of me that people ask so much money for them, even more for named ones when most smiths are poor and just want a nice anvil to work on. And collectors snatch them up hold onto them and instead of letting a working smith or aspiring one get one reasonably, they ask what looks like 3.75 a pound for a name. There literally are thousands of anvils out there collecting dust and rust because of someone wants to make a buck. I am sorry about the rant I just have very strong feelings when it comes to tools and outrageous prices attached to them.

my no name russian anvil thats a peter wright nockoff.. is the best anvil I have ever owned, face is harder than my hammers, doesn't get marked by chisles, and bounces a hammer like few others :) edge is flawless too