Is this anvil overpriced?

I have heard that one should pay around $2-$3 per pound for a used anvil and around $4 per pound for a new one. So given this anvil is in good shape and an old Peter Wright is it over priced?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270533418730&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

It's a great looking anvil..

Thanks in advance.

Hi Forrest

not sure bout down there.... but up here i paid 150 for a 125lb pete, 75 for an 175 pete, and 100 for a 190lbs pete... the difference is that i went about getting them from other sources... although ebay and antique stores have a ready to buy anvil, there rarely at a decent price.

( although i'd love to have a 300lb pete, as that would be perfect shop size anvil )

but ....if you have the bucks to spare... you can't really go wrong on buying decent tools... they pay for themself sooner or later...

how is the face on that anvil...??? thats a big question

did you try putting out the word that your looking for an anvil... among relatives, farmers, co-workers, at the barbers shop, just bout anyone who'll listen.... if you do, you'll be surprised how you'll find so and so knows this guy who's got one for sale... .. .. i'm not the most social person, but jeez......this does work well .... and be patient about it..

take care and good luck... there is nothing sweeter than a good anvil

Greg

ps.. cept a powerhammer... ;)

in the UK you are looking at paying £100 per hundred weight . Often a lot lot less .

I would second putting the word around .

i dont know if its possable but you can try contacting the seller and letting him know what the fair market price of an anvil is and telling him you are willing to pay that. he seems like he knows nothing about this stuff and may have just come across it. and by the way im brandspanking new to blacksmithing / bladesmithing i havent evean made anything yet. but i got the word out that i was looking for tools of the trade just to a few freinds and some family and i got 2# small anvils, 1# 2ft peice of railroad track, 1# 12''X6"X6" chunk of steel, a wine crate full of old sledge hammer heads and various pices ot prying tools, a few peices of 4' rebar, a trunk full of hard firebrick, a couple of waist high stumps from a freind that does treework and some blacksmith hammers. so ya this works.....well.

It might (and I stress the might) be that valuable to a collector (I haven't the slightest idea what the collector market is in Australia) but for a working anvil it is way overpriced. The seller has possibly priced it as a pristine collector's quality anvil or purchased it for that price and now wants to pass it on to someone else and recover his money.

Doug Lester

Thanks for the tips, I'm using a microwave transformer with a 1/2" steel plate welded on the top but I don't think it will last much longer :P so I'm looking to replace it. Even if I had the money and the desire to to pay for that anvil it is a 4 hour drive away :huh:.

I shall keep looking around.

Thanks again :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea what that woman is smoking let alone if shes baked out in the sun for to long.

and yet ... she DID sell it.

i guess in keeping a hold of my bunch of anvils, ive now got enough to retire one day :)