I am going to build a shop but I don't know if there are any laws aganst what i will be doing if there is any, so what should i do?

Well there is zoning and permits to build and inspections before and after and plan approving. I mean ya dont want to have some bored city official driving by and say that wasnt there before kinda thing, then get a notice in the mail to take it down.

most places have some kind of requirement to fill

call up your local council or city office and speak with them .. they will be the one who you will have to deal with the most ..

its generally a good idea to get the persons name ... as its good to be able to know who gave you the info that you are following.

otherwise, contacting your local office of trade and commerce (or something similar) can lead you to info in this area.

usually it depends on the size of installation you are going to be build ... where it is .. and what your property is like.

if you are making a whole separate building to house your workshop - then you will need planning permissions, drafted drawings etc ...

whereas, if you are just putting together some tarps and a lean-to to stop the rain from dampening your anvil... you might find that it doesnt fit under any restrictions.

so its best to check and follow it to the letter to avoid future annoyances.

You will need to tell them the square footage of the structure. In most municipalities buildings for private use will have a maximum square footage before a permit is needed. In my area 100 sq ft is the limit before a permit is needed. You also may have an allowance if it's built as a temporary structure. If you are zoned residential then you may have to call it a art studio.

As mentioned above you have to contact your local municipal planning department.

Out where I live when it comes to putting up shops, barns, well pump houses etc nobody knows, nobody cares and nobody checks. When we built our house my shop was already up and is twice the square footage that is allowed. The inspector came to check our house after it was finished and never even looked at the shop. At the time it was labeled as a pump house.

That is one of over a thousand reasons I live out in the sticks.

Edited by B Finnigan

also the insurance industry has many laws ..... find out what they will and won't insure... you could lose you insurance for you house and property or the rates will be so high you can't afford them.... they are much stricter than many zoning codes....mad.gif they don't like Blacksmith's , welders,forges, torches,open fires...ect.ect. you can avoid most of the insurance problems by not having the shop attached to your house and then not insuring the shopph34r.gifcool.gif there is a saying that asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.... Meaning if you have asked and told No and then do it anyway you are in big trouble but if you do it and then apllogize and ask for forgiveness you may get away with it.... That may work for your parents and some zoning boards... but it won't work at all on the insurance industry... rolleyes.gif

Dick

Tell the zoning inspector if you catch him on your land again you'll take him for a trespasser and kick his A$$, if he's lucky.

To hell with those comy, nosy, busybody bastards.

Dad-gum revenuer's.......

Now that is good :D

I'm really glad I live where I do. No Zoning, inspection, codes, nothing. Just build it...

This is not advice.

But--

Where I live there are many laws and zoning regulations but seems to be little enforcement.

I have been in major violation for 30 years, been caught several times, threatened a lot but then they (building inspectors) go away & don't come back.

I do always notify the county assessors and pay the property taxes.

Screw'um,

Hank

Tell the zoning inspector if you catch him on your land again you'll take him for a trespasser and kick his A$$, if he's lucky.

To hell with those comy, nosy, busybody bastards.

Dad-gum revenuer's.......

Wow, That will really get the inspector on your side. Maybe a Hello, how are you. Have a seat, would you like a beer or something. Tell him or her you make knives, ask if they are a sportsman, if they cook, strike up a conversation. Show him you grinders and stuff. Maybe not the forging stuff. Maybe even give him a cooking knife or one for what ever he or she is into. Nothing like a good bribe you know.

Actually, we have the 100 sq ft law here too. When I moved in with my now wife there was a nice spot on the side of the house that I could easily fit a 10x20 building. The inspector I called told it had to be 5' from the property line and 10' from the house. That left the side of the house out. But if its under 100sq ft then nobody has to inspect and nobody knows where you put what. So I put up two 10x10 steel buildings. One for forging and heat treating and one for grinding and finish work.

Just call town hall and ask for the # of the building inspectors. They will tell you all you need to know. If you are having a contractor build it for you, they will take care of that for you.

This doesn't mean I like building inspectors. I don't like anyone telling me what to do, but you do catch more flies with honey.

Around here, if your put a nail in 2 sticks of wood, you need a permit. I asked many of the same questions when I built a 12X12 shed without a permit. The building inspector was answering all my questions as she filled out the violation papers(fine). Definately ask before you build or you'll be puffin on a turd in purgatory :lol:

After they give you the final thumbs up, then wait a bit(a month) and give er what for!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

At the very least I would contact the county zoning dept. and find out the setback distances from your property line .If you build too close to your neighbor it can become a bigger problem than dealing with the officials .Steve