Martin Mosaic and Ivory Bowie

9" blade of hot blued mosaic with twist bars top and bottom, 14" overall length. Handle is walrus ivory with sterling silver and damascus fittings. Wood sheath, lined with velvet, covered with Lizard skin and sterling silver throat and tip. Thanks for taking a look. :rolleyes:

Peter

forum mosaic and walrus bowie.jpg

How do you get reds into the steel?

The colors are created with the hot bluing, steels containing alloys will be a different color compared to steels with no alloys. Hope this helps.....

Peter

I guess, i thought that blueing made it well Blue, what alloying element would cause it to be red though?

I guess, i thought that blueing made it well Blue, what alloying element would cause it to be red though?

The color comes from thin oxidation, the oxidation on the surface prevents the steel from rusting deeper because rust doesn't rust (this is why its used to protect gun parts). slightly different oxidation amounts cause different colors. I'm no expert but I believe blue is the highest oxidation color before going black (it may be green). red comes before so it would require an alloy slightly less susceptible to oxidation (maybe a little bit of chromium?) to cause a lighter color.

hope that helps :lol:

ok that makes sence, didn't think of oxidation as being the cause. i thought bluing substances were like dyes.

Edited by K Freier

the colors are cool, but how the hell do you get some of those patterns o.O

Most of my mosaics are powdered steel and nickel, stacked to produce a 16 element billet. Then coarse twisted and accordian cut, I'm a big fan of forge welded cutting bars to ensure a high carbon tool steel edge. Its alot of work but I think the results are worth the effort.

Thanks for the kind words,

Peter

Very interesting work Peter, I love this style of work even though it doesn't fit what I am doing. I'd love to examine modern mosaic work at some time to see how much of it can be translated to historical reproduction. Either way mosaic Damascus is something that has been fascinating me for some time now, especially when you start thinking what you can accomplish between folds, twist, and tiles. (and how the hell do you work with tiles and get tight welds prior to the invention to electric welding and not have a scrape pile that has a cost of thousands of hours of manual labor?)