I am about to deliver and get paid for a $75 blacksmith job, and I want to use some of that money (about $25- $30) on some good files, right now I have 2 files (stop laughing :angry:). So I'm looking for suggestions on where to get them, and what kind of assortment I should look for. Suggestions?

mcmaster carr has a huge selection of files (but they are not cheap). look under polishing and abrading i think. nicholson files are the best i have used (i have never used the mcmaster ones, but i have heard good things). i just pick up a file when i need it from home depot. you may be able to get a file set from the nicholson website that could fit the bill. half round, double cut, round, and trianguler and mill bastard should do it for most people, but then again that is all i ever need/want, so your needs will be different.

The Yard Store (http://www.yardstore.com) has 2 styles of Vixen hand files on sale. If you need files that will hog material and leave good surfaces, you might want to try these. I've never seen them priced this low.

The Yard Store (http://www.yardstore.com) has 2 styles of Vixen hand files on sale. If you need files that will hog material and leave good surfaces, you might want to try these. I've never seen them priced this low.

great site! those are the same prices as mcmaster carr though for the same size files, and the mcmaster carr are not on sale (though the vixen files may be worth the extra $). thanks for the link!

Simonds files will out last Nicholson by 10:1. But they only cost 2-3 times more. The Multi-Kut have a tooth pattern that hogs very aggressively, doesn't clog on steel and leaves about a 220 finish.

multi-kut.gif

harbor freight pittsburgh tool co made in india files... no joke

a friend of mine had these analyzed and the steel is even better than old american files. higher carbon, a touch of V and Cr, and less sulphur and phosphorous. even before these were analyzed i swore by these files...

before you buy any more files get yourself a filecard.... they do you no good if you cant keep them clean....i lost alot stuff in my shopfire...but one of things that hit me hardest was the loss of my huge file collection..

harbor freight pittsburgh tool co made in india files... no joke

a friend of mine had these analyzed and the steel is even better than old american files. higher carbon, a touch of V and Cr, and less sulphur and phosphorous. even before these were analyzed i swore by these files...

I bought 2 at harbor freight last week since they were $4 for I think it was the 12 inch.........Man they shred good.

I will be going back for more.

I bought 2 at harbor freight last week since they were $4 for I think it was the 12 inch.........Man they shred good.

I will be going back for more.

yeah harbor freight stuff is hit and miss. the digital calipers are good as well. i do also have 5 other high end calipers as well though lol...

yeah harbor freight stuff is hit and miss. the digital calipers are good as well. i do also have 5 other high end calipers as well though lol...

Do they have those files on their website? could you possibly provide me with a link?

thanks, oldanvil

Do they have those files on their website? could you possibly provide me with a link?

thanks, oldanvil

i dont see this exact brand on their website... *shrugs

they have the central forge brand on their website, but i haven't tried those.

Simonds files will out last Nicholson by 10:1. But they only cost 2-3 times more. The Multi-Kut have a tooth pattern that hogs very aggressively, doesn't clog on steel and leaves about a 220 finish.

multi-kut.gif

+1 on these Simonds files. I watched flea bay and got a great deal on a quantity...I'm still on the first one after over a year :o:D

From my experience, I don't buy Nicholson anymore. Craftsman actually have been the best files I've used so far (which isn't saying much). I'll definitely give Harbor Freight a try. I love that place.

I get at least two years out of the Simonds multi-kuts and that is hand filing all my knives on normalized steel. That is some severe usage vs just deburring or a touch up occasionally.

My own experience and that of the vast majority of knife makers on all the forums is to avoid Harbor Freight. Their stuff is pure crap with very few exceptions. I had a very ugly experience with a lathe I bought from them. It was a total pile. You get what you pay for.

Just search "Harbor Freight" on this and all the other forums and you will see a less then stellar overview of most of their products. It's cheaper to buy the good stuff and have it last and perform well for many years then to buy garbage that has to be replaced or repaired often.

I learned the hard way and just want to save others the extreme grief they gave me. It went clear to the WA State AG's office.

All of my shop equipment is either JET or grizzly. It's all been working like a charm for several years now with very heavy use.

The Simonds files B Finnigan mentions are the way to go IMO. He mentioned them awhile back and I got some on ebay also and do not regret it.

It took me awhile to wait for them to come up but these are way better than all my other files for really hogging steel.

Chris

That is a great price for sure. Although the Nu-Kut tooth pattern will chatter a bit on that size. I only get the 10" and 14" sizes in Nu-Kuts. They still hog fast and will outlast anything you'll see in your local hardware store or Harbor Fraud.

I thought i made it clear that certain products from harbor freight are good, that certain products are not good, and that these files are in fact good. Please dont throw a leg over my post. If you haven't tried these files then you dont know...

I thought i made it clear that certain products from harbor freight are good, that certain products are not good, and that these files are in fact good. Please dont throw a leg over my post. If you haven't tried these files then you dont know...

i have to agree with you, but you did the exact same thing about the rhino anvils in another thread. sorry to be a PITA, but i hate it when people are hypocritcal. <_<

I have used HF files and was not the least impressed with them. If someone else likes them then so be it. It's no skin off my teeth what anyone uses.

This is a Nicholson file I bought a couple weeks ago in a pinch to finish a knife. The only tool store that carries Simonds around here is 30 miles away.

After one 6" normalized 1050 blade it already has tooth damage. And this was not my hogging file, it's a medium.

IMG_0032web.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan
  • 2 weeks later...

multi-kut.gif

I want to give these a shot, whats the best places online for the bigger sizes like 12" and 14"

I only can find 8" on the wholesale tools link posted on this page .

Edited by Douglas W.

Ebay has a lot of them. You just have to make you get the multi-Kut or the pic is big enough to see the tooth pattern.

Amazon.com also features a vendor that carries a big selection.

+1 for Simonds files, and JimC is right about the Vixen files (a.k.a. body files, auto body files, milled tooth, curved tooth, etc.) hogging serious material. He mentioned them in a previous thread, I bought one, and I'm very impressed. They're available in many different brands, including Simonds and Nicholson.

I mainly look at HF files as raw material. Be careful not to cut yourself -- those teeth are mean and sharp!

Edited by Matt Bower