File guide interest.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can enhance the lifespan of these jigs by creating a safety edge on the file. In other words flat grind the side of the file that rides against the guide.

patrick B)

Can you explain what you mean?? The side of the file that rides against the jig is the side of the file doing the work?? Thanks...Arthur

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

I have a set of ten files I use just for guide slotting. On all but two I ground one edge (not the working face) flat. The part slides next to the jig vertically or horizontal. You still have the edge on the other side to use if needed. But if you grind it you want it as smooth as possible w/o divots or waves. That will make the job a bit more challenging.

I have sourced a diamond surfacing wheel ($$$ :blink:) and will get a load of carbides strips to make more guides with carbide on one side. Those of you that have the guides already you can send them to me and I can attach and surface them for you. I don't want to leave anyone "in the lurch" wishing you had waited.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

If you haven't sent mine yet... you can hold on to it til you get the carbide and I'll send the difference... let me know... Thanks!

I first have to make one and use it. For all I know the heat from surfacing will melt the JB weld and when it cools the carbide will not be dead flat. Then I have to consider the PITA factor and if it will be worth it and I can keep the cost down. I don't want some defect to show up after a dozen people already have them.

So I will play around and see what I end up with. I know I can offer them for far less then the current supplier does.

Brent,

I have been patiently waiting for your version of a carbide faced file guide since getting one of your regular ones a while ago. I am still only using it with my Simonds hand files and it is as flat and true as the first time I used it. Please put me down for a cabide faced guide when, not if, you get it figured out.

I've got a lot of faith in you ^_^

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Appreciate the feedback! It's not one of those tools you can run down to Home Depot and buy.

Edited by B Finnigan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have three more left and then that will be it for the summer. PM me if you want one. It will be quite a while before I start messing around with the carbide guides.

Edited by B Finnigan

One left

Sold out. Thanks for your interest and I hope they work great for you for many years.