Irish ring pommel sword WIP

David D.

Well I thought it would be a fitting day to share this... :)

irishsword.jpg

Andy & I have always loved Irish ring pommel swords. And after a long week last fall of churning out some pattern welded sword blades, we were left with an extra one without a purpose...

until I was talking to Mr. Potter the other day that is. haha

We were dreaming about projects we would love to tackle in the near future Lord willing, and thinking back to that lone blade, its purpose suddenly became clear.

forgin.jpg

tangfprging.jpg

As of now the billet which was forge welded by Andy has been drawn out and Ive forged it to rough profile, ready for heat treatment.

We plan on crafting the blade and then letting Ben take over from there with his devilish work.

The sketch above is what I made just as a springboard, but I for one am looking forward to letting Ben go wild and give this sword character.

And not being a commission we will be selling it on a first come first serve basis.

But that's what we got so far.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day soaking up inspiration reading "how the irish saved civilization"

743c4310fca059bc8e45401.jpg

...Listening to good tunes, and going to the pub to hear my dads band play with my brother in law.. haha :D

Thanks for looking guys

have a good one!

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

This is gonna be good.

I like the crossguard design a lot.

Is the blade a straight laminate, or is there a pattern?

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Thanks guys

Kenon, the fuller was added by a jig we made for our log splitter press, so forged yes.

Dave, It will be a straight laminate blade, but still should have some good wavy figure in it.

how many layers I honestly have forgotten, its been so long after we welded it. I'll have to get Andy to remind me on this one... haha

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

I can't wait to get my hands on this one :)

I have been wanting to do an Irish sword for a long time and look forward to crafting the hilt on this one.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

I think the only way this could get any better is if this was a leaf-blade... but that's probably because I kinda have a thing for 'em. Definitely watching this topic!

Ooooooooooooooh. I love the Irish hand-and-a-half style of swords, so this is just amazing--I can't wait to see it finished!

~Noah

Thanks guys. :)

So THAT's what you've been hiding! :lol:

I eagerly await the end product, I know it will be worthy of a good cattle-raid. B)

haha aaactually...

This is not what has been keeping us busy and silent.

What has though is a much bigger project that we were blessed to work on. And I wish we could share now, but it has some legal confidentiality attatched to it... :ph34r:

haha

in due time though... ;)

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

Let me guess.....you guys are working on some kind of movie production blade....

Every time you post something, I get really excited! This ring-pommel sword is going to be awesome! Thanks for letting us enjoy the ride!

He that will a good edge win must forge thick, and grind thin.

-Colin Sampson

Nice work guys, and I cant wait to see the big secret project when its time to unveil it, I bet it will look awesome

Gnáthamh na hoibre an t-eólas

(Knowledge comes through practice)

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

my site: http://lfcforgeworks.webs.com/