osoraku in saya-shira

jake cleland

here's one i started a year or so ago. i wasn't real happy with the hamon - the clay blew off the kissaki, or the sugata - not pointy enough, and decided to take another swing at the other day. i reshaped the blade, and rehardened it. still not 100% convinced by the hamon, but it's much closer to what i was shooting for. it still needs the polish finished - i counter polished the kissaki to 1500x before the etch, and had a pretty crisp demarcation at the yokote, but the etch and metal polish washed it out a bit. these are a bitch to polish. have to redo the counter polish, and hope the etch is deep enough that the hamon still pops in the kissaki. might give the kissaki a very light etch with lemon, depending on how it looks. habaki is copper, which i'll probably blacken. actually the habaki is why i decided to take another swing at this. i was making a habaki for another piece, and i only had 1/4" x 1 1/4" copper, so i took a piece 2 1/2" long, and split it through the diagonal, giving two tapered blanks, 1 1/4" x 2 1/2" and about 3/16ths at the back, tapering to nothing. when i cut off the excess width, i had 4 ready made machi gane blanks. it's no fun making that cut in copper, but it worked out pretty well. so anyway, i had a spare habaki blank, and i needed something to use it on. saya shira is sycamore, and still needs a lot of polishing, it's just roughly filed at the moment. anyway, pics -

oso-shira 1.jpg

oso-shira 2.jpg

oso-shira 4.jpg

oso-shira 3.jpg

oso-shira 5.jpg

oso-shira 6.jpg

let me know what you think.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

That's a real skinny looking blade, I like it. Seems like it would be very fast in the hand. It'll be fun to see it develop into final form. Thanks for sharing!

thanks. i tried to accentuate the leanness of the blade by slimming out the hamon towards the boshi (which went a little too far), lengthening the tsuka and saya, angling the ends, and elongating the habaki proportions beyond those for a standard tanto (partly because i moved the yokote too far back while reshaping, and it looked unbalanced). because of the high shinogi (its a full quarter inch at the yokote, while the mune is about 1/8th) it feels fery light and fast in the hand, while still being quite a powerful wee blade. i'm sure there are a lot of subtlties to this style that i haven't fully grasped, and i'm keen to explore it further, despite the hell that is grinding and polishing them.

Edited by jake cleland

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Jake

I love that blade, the hamon is wonderful and the sugata is very pleasing to the eye. I plan on doing a tanto like that soon. I hope mine turns out half a nice as yours.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

That's nice Jake.. Have you been mixing in some paper pulp into your claying mix? and if so have you found a optimum amount?

Dick

i have seen that one, but this is more the style i like, also by yoshihara:

osoraku yoshindo.jpg

P.Aberra, i agree that i should take down the saya some more, though it's a nightmare trying to keep all the lines smooth and even.

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

Jake, I love the work, If you havent already take a look at Dragonfly Forge, Master Bell, made a Saya for Yoshiharasan last summer for one of his swords. I may have suggested this already sorry if I did.

Paul

just use common sense.......dude your boned

spent all day dealing with a catastrophic computer failure, but i found some time this evening to do a little more to this - re-shaped the saya a bit to make it slimmer, polished it, and re polished the blade. still not 100% happy, but it's getting there...

osoraku 1.jpg

osoraku 2.jpg

osoraku 3.jpg

osoraku 4.jpg

the blade has a 7 1/2 inch nagasa, and is 1086M. the saya shira is sycamore, with a wax finish.

Dick, i did add some paper pulp to the clay on this, but i didn't make it fine enough, so i had layout problems. you live and learn. on the next one i'm gonna use 1095 and try to form a hamon similar to the yoshihara blade i posted above.

Edited by jake cleland

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein