Dog Bone bowie

guarnera

I'm trying to make a dog bone bowie. My wife bought me the book, "Tim Hancock, western Bladesmith." Tim make some of the nicest bowies going, and especially his dog bones. He shows in his book everything about making a dog bone that I pretty much had figured out already. He doesn't show how he makes the button/pin/button. I've made a few of the buttons. What I need to figure out is how to hold the button by the smooth rounded side so I can grind the bottoms flat. I might try doping wax and a stick. I tried this with crazy glue, but the minute I touched the button to the grinder it just flew off the stick.I have been pushing them along a flat file to do this, but the buttons are kind of small and its a real pain. Any suggestions? The other thing I haven't figured out yet is how to hold the buttons at the right angel, while soldering on the pin, and then how to hold the button that goes on the other side at the same angel while drilling the hole to accept the pin coming through the handle from the other button? Any suggestions please. Remember that the handle is faceted so both sides that the buttons are on are at angels to the pin that goes straight through. Please help. Thanks.

Tony G

I thought I had an idea, but then your last statement made me stop and think. Could you post a picture to help us out?

Thanks

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Ooooh, I found it. Over on Knife Forum there is a spectacular WIP on the knife. It looks like you (and I :rolleyes: ) could mine this for ideas for weeks!

Dog Bone WIP

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Ya beat me to it Geoff. What Tim didnt show in his book, John makes up for with his WIP. I can see a few more these being assembled from now on.

Barnett Custom Knives

www.barnettcustomknives.com

Australian Knifemakers Guild Secretary/Treasurer

American Bladesmith Society Apprentice

John White, MS made the Dogbone in the link for me. He did a wonderful job. It was the first Dogbone Bowie that John has made. It looks great in the photos, but is much better in person. The blade is chatoyant and really shimmers in the light.

Here is the link again:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722588

Jim Treacy

CKCA_LOGOFinalLarge-1.jpg

My Collection & Available Knives: http://jjtjr.fototime.com/welcome