Cutting competition knife

DavidM

Made a new cutting competition knife for Batson's.

10" blade, 5" handle. Recycled an old jackhammer bit.

Still need to wrap the handle. Haven't decided on what color cord to use.

Can't wait to start testing it. Feels really good.

dscn1815.jpg

dscn1910.jpg

Jackhammer bit? Really? Aren't those generally S-5? Sweeeeet!

-J

nice work, I think its your best so far to be honest.

how did you get the hamon to pop?

Ya think so? Thanks.

I pulled the hamon up with a very light ferric etch, then polished with an iron oxide and oil mixture I've been messing around with. Similar to nugui I think. Still trying to figure out how to get it just right. Sometimes it works really drastically, and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Jackhammer bit? Really? Aren't those generally S-5? Sweeeeet!

-J

Yeah, I had always heard that too. Its even in JPH's books. But recently I'd been hearing people say it was more like 1060-1070. So I tested a bit and thats exactly what it acted like. Kinda a pain to hammer out by hand though.

Dang, that looks awesome. I vote olive drab green, black, or some camo type color.

But black would probably look best (IMHO)

I have some black so thats probably what its going to get. I'm trying not to get too extravagant with it since its probably going to get abused alot.

Love it! That's a crazy nice hamon you got there too.

Thanks. Hopefully it will be a good cutter. I've never used one of these before.

Well, I don't think this one is going to the competition.. Gets sharp as hell and holds it for a long long time, but I just can't seem to make those smooth clean cuts with it. I think its the kukri-ish shape. Great camp knife though. Cut through the 2x4 three times and still shaved....just couldn't do it as quickly as I would have liked.

Lookin' really nice, David! B)

According to Grant Sarver of Off-Center products (who made a living repointing jackhammer bits before he founded his company) ALL jackhammer bits made in the USA are 1045 with extra silicon for toughness. The S-5 and S-7 idea seems to have come from some confusion between jackhammers and pneumatic stonecutting chisels, which generally ARE S-series steels. ;)

Wow....1045? I had no idea it was that low. I didn't think 1045 would get hard in oil. I suppose my oil must be pretty fast when I heat it up like that. I'm repolishing it right now. I took it out and gave it a very harsh testing just to see how the HT acted. Super tough stuff. cutting through old 2x4s over and over. Some of them had nails in them, others were used for screeding concrete. Nothing seems to phase this knife. I'm proud of it. Just not the right shape for cutting contests. I love that it cuts nails though....thats cool.

What are you supposed to cut in the cutting competition?

Lets see.... They cut construction grade 2x4. They cut water bottles. Aluminium cans with water in them. 1" freehanging rope. Am I missing any guys?

Depends on the year. It's been what's listed, plus rawhide doggie chew toys, ping pong balls (cutting or stabbing), styrofoam falls floating in a tank of water(stabbing), dowels, business cards, popsicle sticks, coconuts, toilet paper, etc... The 2x4 and the rope are pretty standard, the others vary quite a bit.

Jamie

Jamie Boley

Polar Bear Forge

Actually a kukri shape will work on for it. I used one for one of the years and it was more a problem with the user than the knife. A number of years back the winner of the cutting contest was a kukri, the crowbar kukri. It was made from a $.99 crowbar from the hardware store.

Jamie

Jamie Boley

Polar Bear Forge

ive done up 3 test and pretest blades for my JS test ..

and one of them has a recurve shape like a kukri ... there is a bit of a difference in actually cutting and hacking with them ..

its more about a shift in style and that sweet spot.

but its not a huge difference ..

you get to feel it in the swing .. and i find that the kukri tends to twist in the hand less when you strike wrong

this looks like a fun blade to play with :)

nicely done ..

and i really like the way you pulled that hamon out too.

deeDWF4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...