How many ways are there to finish wrought.

For making knife furniture, how many different ways are there to finish wrought.

Looking for ways that will show the grain and protect from rust.

forge and fold a few times it cannot be hardend ie quenched it looks like strands of spaggeti when forged and folded , use borax to weld you can etch to check the pattern but clean up well , then a good carnubia wax on the finished article this will preserve it hope this helps

tell

Edited by tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

Or beeswax baked on at 400 deg (F).

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Depends on the wrought too. I got some today that is so refined it basically has no pattern at all. Eteched in fc for 20 minutes and just makes that nice steel grey color. you'd have to have a glass to see the pattern,.It was wrought iron bolts. Very clean. The dirtier the wrought the more pattern you get...

You have to take Life by the throat, then you need to chocke it until it spits up what you want!!

Nitric acid makes a better etch for wrought iron. about 10% in water will give some depth and color. Polish to at least 400 grit, more is better.

You ought to like the wagon tyre iron if pattern is what you're looking for. :)

As to the original question, I do not know of a way that does both things well. You can polish and etch for seeing the pattern, but then if you apply a deep enough oxide finish to protect it, it is hard to see the pattern through the patina.

If you take the time, it will give you a beautiful rust brown finish that can be turned black in boiling water at the end.

Yep, Howard Im sure I will ;) Its gonna be for hawk bodies. I cant wait until it gets here :D The bolts I got in a trade. They are "very" refined wrought. You can even tell when you break it cold how refined it is. It will make nice furniture though B)

Edited by KYBOY

You have to take Life by the throat, then you need to chocke it until it spits up what you want!!

Thanks for all the replys so far, lots of good info.

Where do you buy chemicals like nitric acid and ferric?

I ordered some flat PVC ends to make stand up tubes to soak stuff, like vinegar to help descale blades before draw filing. (anything better then the vinegar?)