Here's one I recently finished. Blade is 1095 with a "clayless" hamon, mild steel guard with tamboti handle and domed stainless steel pin. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start a sheath this weekend, then she goes up for sale!

I'd love to hear input from you guys, as this one is an unorthodox design... I'm wondering how it will strike everyone.

Sorry for the crummy pictures, my photography skills are lacking.

Thanks for looking!

web.jpg?ver=12696330630001

web.jpg?ver=12696330610001

web.jpg?ver=12696330590001

I like it. If you follow the line of the spine, it tricks the eye into thinking its recurved or kurkri'ish; but it isn't. Sneaky.

well done. the pattern in the handle even fits with the shape of the blade. deceptively simple. good stuff.

kc

Great use of the pattern too. I came back to this one and after I got past the blade, that stands out. Again, really nice.

This can't be right! Matt Gregory doesn't make knives, he makes trouble! :D

Very nice piece. The control in HT is really quite evident and the results as shown by the hamon are great. I'll admit, the lack of a ricasso throws my eye off a bit, but I think it will grow on me the more I look at it.

Well done dude!

-d

I like it. nice balance of all parts.

Great! The beautiful wood grain flows into the guard.

I'm curious about the clayless hammond, also.

Thanks for all the comments, gang. Dave, I have no clue how I managed to post this same thread twice, but I did... sorry!

I call the hamon technique 'clayless', as I didn't use any form of coating on the blade. I did a handful of grain refining cycles to reduce hardenability a bit, then low temperature austenitizing before quench in fast oil. What you see is what occurs 'naturally'! I plan on etching it a couple more times and polishing a pinch more to bring out a bit more detail, although there's already quite a bit - my photography just sucks!

This is the first -and will likely be the last- ricasso-less blade I make. Lots of trouble, and not sure I'm thrilled with it. Different, for sure!