wenge seax

jake cleland

here's one i started last night, and polished and mounted today. still needs a bit of work, but you get the idea. 9 1/8th blade of 1080, clay hardened in oil. 3/16ths thick, very little taper, hollow sabre grind. handle of reindeer antler and wenge, with a leather spacer. i plan to carve some spirals on the handle, to show a client how carved wenge will look for another knife (i seem to be a sucker for punishment). the balance is about 1" in front of the handle, and it feels very good in the hand - light but strong.

wenge seax 1.jpg

wenge seax 2.jpg

i ballsed up the grind line on this side, and i'm debating whether to leave it, try and sand it out by hand, which i was having no luck with earlier, or risk taking it back to the grinder...

Edited by jake cleland

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Jake, Very nice, I envy :huh: your ability to knock-out a high quality blade in such a short time, and still have it look so good ... what is your secret? :D

A bad day forging... is still better than pretty much anything else

Very elegant (and pointy :P), even with the wobbly grind line on that side. I'm a sucker for wenge, too, so definitely post up a detail shot of the handle when you carve it!

~Noah

wow just looking at that thing makes me wat to stabb somthing with it. i better go take my meds tongue.gif .very nice

"fire can be a tool of destruction or creation, the difference lies in the hands of those who wield it". me

Jake,

I'd vote for attacking the wobble by hand... takes longer but so much more of a sure thing... and good luck with the wenge....Dick

thanks for the encouragement, guys. still haven't sorted the wobble, but i got the basic carving done today. wenge is some nasty stuff to carve, but here we go. one side is a basic spiral, whilst the other has a nordic raven. both these motifs are going to get incorporated into the handle of a persian style piece for a client later this year, and i wanted to see how the wenge would take to this type of carving. it likes the spirals. the detail stuff, not so much.

carved wenge seax 1.jpg

carved wenge seax 2.jpg

carved wenge seax 3.jpg

carved wenge seax 4.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics. my camera only seems to focus in daylight...

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

The spiral is nice and clean, but that raven is incredible! I think that the wenge gives it a nice antique look, and I now REALLY want that raven to be carved on something...or maybe tattooed, I don't know :P

~Noah

well i'm glad you guys like the raven - it was really just a doodle in wood to test the principles of this kind of carving, and to show the client the kind of results he can expect on his blade if we go with wenge. on the persian blade, the raven will be more of a sculptural element in the handle; it's going to have a full tapered tang, and the tang will show between the beak and the shoulder, to protect the beak, and be heat blued. should be interesting. i'll post the designs when i get them finished up.

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein