Mad Dwarf Workshop - Hammerin & open shop event

madevent.jpg

On Sat August 28'th we plan on hosting a sword themed Hammerin, open shop event, & smelt at our workshop here in beautiful rural New Castle Indiana.

Our last hammerin was on very short notice, more geared towards family & friends (newbs to bladesmithing), and only a couple bladesmiths could make it out for that day.

But this time round we plan on having a lot more serious bladesmith goodness in store for the day. And we would absolutely love for as many of you guys here on the forum to attend if possible.

The day's events will be from 11:00 - to around 10:00

Cost will be $20 a person to cover expenses and meals for the day.

Vendors to sell whatever bladesmithing related items you wish and tailgating is welcomed at no additional fee.

So far what we have planned:

- 4 open forges and all shop tools for anyone to use on any project.

- Live music from my dads bluegrass band "the Peach Pickers"

- Hands on display of all of our past (non commission) MDW work.

- Awesome food and a delicious sheep roast by our good buddies Shad & Seth.

- Plenty of demo's, including Rick Barrett and Dave Stephens (more soon to come)

- And lastly a smelt...

We plan on having a simple smelt setup for the day, and this is where we would love your guys help guidance and advice at hand...

Andy & I have played around plenty the past couple months with mini smelting experiments. But would love some able bodied experienced guys on hand to get something great fired up.

Please share ideas and let us know if you can help out!

So if you would like to attend please rsvp by PMing either me or Andy. Or shoot us an email at: MadDwarfWorkshop@hotmail.com and let us know you plan on coming.

We will provide you with detailed directions on how to get here.

And if your interested in coming but live extremely far away, we can get you details an an awesome quality yet affordable bed & breakfast just 3 miles down the road from our shop.

Thanks so much guys!

Hope to see ya there.

Edited by David D3

In talks with a possible very cool demonstrator for this event and the 21st is not available for him.

So the date may Change to the 28th here very soon!

I think that I'm going to have to pencil that in. I'm going to have to look for some honest work so a new job might get in the way but if I can make it I entend to. I doubt that I'll find a hammer-in any closer.

Doug Lester

Hmmmmm... I might even have to look into coming to this event, because it's not an event with a little Canadian bacon thrown in for fun and excitement! :P

Thanks guys! Hope to see as many of ya there as possible. If you can then shoot us an email for directions when the time comes.

We've officially moved it to Saturday August 28'th

Just spoke to swordsmith Rick Barrett and he will be joining us for the day, lending a hand for the smelt and demoing how he constructs his contemporary sword hilts.

Dave Stephens will also be demo-ing some pattern welded goodness.

Its looking to be an awesome day. :)

Edited by David D3

Awesome Jared. Cant wait man :)

Adlai we really hope you can stop by! I'm sure tons of guys would love to see your work and have you lend a hand on all the activities.

Thanks a ton guys

Awesome Jared. Cant wait man :)

Adlai we really hope you can stop by! I'm sure tons of guys would love to see your work and have you lend a hand on all the activities.

Thanks a ton guys

I think I'll go to Mid America Friday and come hang out with you guys in Saturday.

• 2 months later...

Was talking to my dad tonight, and I can't make it. Is there likely to be another sometime? I would love to come and learn and meet.

Oh well, (now I'm sad, <sniff>) Stephen.

• 1 month later...

Its almost here!

There is still plenty of room left if your interested in coming.

It has turned out to be a MUCH bigger event than we ever expected which means it will be all the more fun and a greater learning experience.

Unfortunately Dave Stephens wont be able to make it due to work commitments. HOWEVER, we're honored to have Peter Martin planning to attend, as well as Rick Barrett and his apprentice Josiah giving an incredible demo that will for sure blow everyone's brains into oblivious with inspiration/awesome overload... :) Along with plenty other activities and demos.

Contact us via email if you have any questions and think you might be able to make it.

See ya there!

The Hammerin was a awesome success. We could not have had more fun and hope that everyone who came enjoyed their time equally as much.

Andy helped Andrew Calvetti (forgefire) weld up his first pattern welded billets. Adlai and Peter Martin went to town wailing away on steel making some beautiful blades. Rick Barret worked his hamon line magic and shared it with plenty of fascinated people. Jared Stier and Andy spearheaded a quick and small but very effective smelt that resulted in a really nice bloom. Our buddies Shad & Seth roasted up some mean pork. And the bluegrass band kept everyone entertained while relaxing in the shade of the big tree.

We've uploaded a ton of photos over on our facebook page so check them out when you have the time:

MDW 2010 Hammer-in event

If life allows, hopefully we will be able to do it all over again next year, and make it even bigger and better.

Thanks to all who came! :)

To ANDY AND DAVE

WELL DONE GUYS,I had a really great time,good food,good music good people,met alot of new people and learned some cool stuff to boot.Thanks for putting it on.Planning on coming down next year if you two decide to do it again

Thanks

GM

To the guys at MDW and their families and friends, thanks for an excellent time. B)

The food, drink, music and laughs were over the top! Like GM says, if your doing it again next year, I'll be there.

Peter

One more thing to add, this is the steel I patterned at the hammer in, got it home and I ground it down to 240 grit and etched it a bit to show the steel, thanks again for the great day at MDW.

PICT0034 800.jpg

PICT0037 800.jpg

Edited by PMARTINKNIVES

It was great being there the meet some of the people who post here. I also appriciated David taking a little time to critique my knives and give me some pointer. If you thing that the picture of the swords and knives form the Mad Dwarf Workshop looked great, you should have seen them up close.

Doug Lester

Edited by Doug Lester