Jake Powning

single edged viking sword

I was wondering if any of you have info on this blade on page 9 of "De Norske Vikingesverd" by Jan Petersen It's figure 4 and says "Hvaala, Lunde, Brb. 1/5." as a caption. It's the sword on the far right of the picture, dose anyone know anything about this sword? I'm interested in what the blade cross section would be like, it almost looks like it might have a slightly convex triangular cross-section judging by the point drop of the blade and the amount of missing edge material (suggesting that it was very thin)... but I might be projecting there. :rolleyes:

any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.

singlevik.jpg

Just a very quick reply, Jake:

As a rule these swords have a very shallow fuller and marked edge bevel. Sometimes the face of the blade lack a fuller. It may have parallel sides, or have a slight taper towards the edge. I have never seen a blade of this type with a triangular section.

...But who knows...?

I am not familiar with the details of the sword you are interested in.

I shall look around and see if I find more detailed info.

thanks Peter. I particularly like how you can see the Quench dive on this blade, it looks like a viking shamshir. and I also like the proportions, the unusually short blade is interesting. I'm forging out a strait blade with the long tip like this one and I'm going to heat treat and oil Quench and see how similar the blade movement is. the curve on the back of this one looks like allot of seax blades that curved when I Quenched them and caused me to grumble and curse. It will be fun to try and do it on purpose! maybe it won't work... :D