New Roman Sword

mblades

Very Nice work, Question though, how comfortable is that style of handle to grip for long periods of time? I know we dont do that sort of thing anymore, but was just curious.

just use common sense.......dude your boned

Very Nice work, Question though, how comfortable is that style of handle to grip for long periods of time? I know we dont do that sort of thing anymore, but was just curious.

Well its very very close to historic so there must have been something liked about it

Practice random acts of Viking

Well its very very close to historic so there must have been something liked about it

i'd be willing to bet it was more about economics than comfort. romans mass produced a lot of weapons for a lot of men, using metal would have been far more pricey for legionaries who didn't tend to last too long. more cost effective to do them from readily available materials (wood, bone etc)and the beefy size probably was necessary to get them to stand up to battle usage. not that i'm an expert on roman military stuff.

and mark, looks really nice, send me a copy of the pics so i can stick em on the blog. i really like how well the carving turned it out after you cleaned it up!

"Whats the point of women? I've got knives, they're just as pretty and I don't need to buy them dinner to get them out of their sheath"

http://omalleyblades.weebly.com/available-blades.html

The grip is very comfortable , this was a stabbing weapon not for slashing the hand was to lock in the grip area most of the first pompei grips had a smaller pommel and a much narrower grip mine are 3 3/4 bone

Morrow's Blade and Blacksmith Shop

http://www.swordsmith.net

Mark, good to see you are still making! Beautiful gladius! It looks very plain, then you look closer and see the fine details.

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

That is amazing! Beautifully under stated, yet very classy. I think that is easily the best (or at least my favorite which might be pretty different) gladius that I have seen before. How many hours would you say that you put into the carving of that handle?

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

Beautiful work.With people of the past,in general they would have tougher hands than we do now due to the type of tools and work done in that era.Lots of manual labor.Also the shape of the handle promotes a very confident grip.The last thing on your mind when somebody is trying to kill you is"damn my hands uncomfortable" :D

N'T McAhron Sqwaukin Vulture Verrinder

"to create is to make art"

TREMBLING EARTH KNIFE WORKS (website coming soon)

that is a beautiful gladius. nicely done.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

A perfect sword for a senior centurion or Optio of the cohort. Maybe even a Tribune. Nice even consitency in the design, which I can imagine is somewhat of the difficulty in carving a repetitive design like this. Excellent work Mark.

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"