WTB, Anvil in Florida

Deciding to get serious about getting an anvil. I need one as big as I can get, at least 100# and I need it in Florida. That way I can come get it. Unless I can find a Stellar deal that includes shipping.

Any Ideas?

buy a 4in sqaure bar of 4140 from mcmaster carr in whatever length you need. it works, and is great for blades.

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

NC Tool Cavalry Anvil fits the bill. http://www.nctoolco.com/pages/anvils3.htm

Bigfoot, (not to hijack your post here or anything) but if you did buy a piece of 4140, how would you go about hardening it? I looked it up and McMaster sells it in the annealed state.

Edited by Ben C.

"He climbs highest who helps another up"

NC Tool Cavalry Anvil fits the bill. http://www.nctoolco.com/pages/anvils3.htm

Bigfoot, (not to hijack your post here or anything) but if you did buy a piece of 4140, how would you go about hardening it? I looked it up and McMaster sells it in the annealed state.

hey no worries. i got 4in round 1045, but it isn't the best choice IMO. 4140 is way better as it is deeper hardening and gets harder in this size. i just built a really big fire (in a fire pit of course), and pointed my shop vac at it until the steel was a dull red (two hours later <_< ). i ended up pouring about 20 gallons of water on it and then rolused the gardening hose to finish it off. but enough to get it most of the way hard. you will need AT least 30 gallons for a 4in sqaure by 12in piece of steel. but, i only ended up heating the 1in on the end to critical. a bar that size ends up being about 45 pounds (plus or minus two pounds, but that is for round). you can always get a big lump o steel from teh scrap yard, and hard face it with stoody rod (i can't advise anyone on this, beacause i have only read about it, but have not done it personally).

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

Oh duh, it sounds so simple now :P I'm gonna try this as it beats the heck out of buying a $300 + shipping anvil. Thanks for the idea! Reminds me how a crafty bunch bladesmiths are...

Oh duh, it sounds so simple now :P I'm gonna try this as it beats the heck out of buying a $300 + shipping anvil. Thanks for the idea! Reminds me how a crafty bunch bladesmiths are...

i would recomend the gardening hose trick on 1045 ONLY. 4140 probably would hold up to that treatement. I think a fellow on anvil fire was taling about the about the same treatment for old anvills via anvil fire and tailored it to my needs (no bonfires or sluice gates for HT'ing, but the same principal, just shrunk down a hint).

Edited by bigfoot

4" would work but I'd perfer 5" or 6", would be harder to HT though. First time I saw Don Fogg demo on an anvil like this, I realized how much better they are for blade smithing. I'll build one some day.

Sixfooter, just keep an eye on Craig's list and ebay for a Florida anvil.

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

4" would work but I'd perfer 5" or 6", would be harder to HT though. First time I saw Don Fogg demo on an anvil like this, I realized how much better they are for blade smithing. I'll build one some day.

True. McMaster only has 4140 in 3.5"x3.5". However, they got it in round stock with a 6" diameter. Any thoughts on a round anvil?

True. McMaster only has 4140 in 3.5"x3.5". However, they got it in round stock with a 6" diameter. Any thoughts on a round anvil?

this is just my experiance, but it may apply to you. i don't have any real trouble for knifemaking with a round anvil. but, it is only really good for knifemaking or other delicate work that does not need to many shoulders. i like a small face so if i did this again, i would use 2in sqaure 1045 in like a 30in length, but that is just me, your mileage may vary.