Shell Voluta C400 quench oil?

lyman

Hi guy

I have been looking a local source for quench oil and so far all I'm coming up with Shell Voluta C400 and I wanted to see if any one has used this stuff and how they like it or don't

here is a link to the data sheet My link

I'm primarily working with 5160 and 1084 at the moment and I was thinking this stuff would work well for that. But really I'm just guessing and was hoping one of you smarter fellas who has some knowledge about quench oils could tell me more.

thanks Lyman

I'm not sure about 5160, but for 1084, I'd use mineral oil. I did a comparison between mineral oil and a specialty quenching oil (brownell's tough quench) and I found that, at least in the case of 10xx steel, mineral oil gave me basically the same results, and it was far cheaper. And, mineral oil can be found almost anywhere, which is nice.

Good luck.

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Mineral oil may be the base of many commercial quenchants, but it's cooling curve is not ideal. The additives in commercial oils modify the base cooling curve to slow it as the part gets closer to the oil's temp. The additives also greatly increase the oils life span. Used equally, (no flashing or other "abuses"), commercial quench oils will out live mineral oil by a very large amount.

Of the alternative quenchants used (motor oil, various veg. oils, mineral oil, water, etc.), canola oil has the most nearly ideal cooling curve and is relatively fast, but it won't out live a commercial oil either.

Mike

Hi guy

I have been looking a local source for quench oil and so far all I'm coming up with Shell Voluta C400 and I wanted to see if any one has used this stuff and how they like it or don't

here is a link to the data sheet My link

I'm primarily working with 5160 and 1084 at the moment and I was thinking this stuff would work well for that. But really I'm just guessing and was hoping one of you smarter fellas who has some knowledge about quench oils could tell me more.

thanks Lyman

Lyman,

A person could call Shell, tell them what steels at what thicknesses you work with and ask them if their oils are appropriate. A person could also call other quench oil manufacturers and ask them what oils they sell that match the Shell oil and what oils they produce that are appropriate for your needs.

Mike

You can't go wrong with Parks if you can get it. If you can't get it, I recommend McMaster-Carr's quench oil, which I have it on good authority is made by Houghton. I've never had a problem with thier oil. You can order it in a gallon, five gallons, or thirty gallons, 11 second or 28 second quench. I've never needed or tried the 28.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#quenching-oil/=70r4cw

-Todd

Edited by tgdula

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

You can't go wrong with Parks if you can get it. If you can't get it, I recommend McMaster-Carr's quench oil, which I have it on good authority is made by Houghton. I've never had a problem with thier oil. You can order it in a gallon, five gallons, or thirty gallons, 11 second or 28 second quench. I've never needed or tried the 28.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#quenching-oil/=70r4cw

-Todd

Todd,

Where did you get the information the McMaster-Carr oils are made by Houghton? Do you know which Houghton oils the 11sec. and the 28sec. are?

Mike

Todd,

Where did you get the information the McMaster-Carr oils are made by Houghton? Do you know which Houghton oils the 11sec. and the 28sec. are?

Mike

Mike, Kevin Cashen told me at Ashokan '09 that Houghton makes them. I don't know what they equate to in Houghton oils, sorry. Maybe McMaster can answer that...

-Todd

Edited by tgdula

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

Shell Voluta appears to be a straight 100 SUS oil with no additives or magic pixie dust for anti-oxidation resistance or speed improvers (at least that is the way I read the data sheet). I need to look regarding McMaster Carr.

D. Scott MacKenzie, PhD

Heat Treating (Aluminum and Steel)

Quenching (Water, Polymer, Oil, Salt and Mar-Tempering)

Shell Voluta appears to be a straight 100 SUS oil with no additives or magic pixie dust for anti-oxidation resistance or speed improvers (at least that is the way I read the data sheet). I need to look regarding McMaster Carr.

Yay, Scott... =]

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, Kevin Cashen told me at Ashokan '09 that Houghton makes them. I don't know what they equate to in Houghton oils, sorry. Maybe McMaster can answer that...

-Todd

They are made by Houghton. I only use the 28sec one and it is a great oil. I may mix it up with the 11 sec one to speed it up some. It seems a bit slow for most of my steels, but works great for 52100.

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke