How much should I charge?

Hey,

Ok, so a customer wants me to regrind and sharpen a whole bunch of machetes he's getting from cold steel. He's offered to pay me hourly for this sort of work.

Now, don't take me wrong, this is awesome, I have nothing against getting paid. But, I haven't the slightest idea of what to charge per hour. I was thinking along the lines of $15/hr, but that's only because it was what my last normal job paid. I don't have any idea if that's anywhere near what is normally charged for this sort of thing, or whether I should even compare this to that.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for how much I should charge? Maybe I should charge him by the blade? I have no idea :o

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

Hey,

Ok, so a customer wants me to regrind and sharpen a whole bunch of machetes he's getting from cold steel. He's offered to pay me hourly for this sort of work.

Now, don't take me wrong, this is awesome, I have nothing against getting paid. But, I haven't the slightest idea of what to charge per hour. I was thinking along the lines of $15/hr, but that's only because it was what my last normal job paid. I don't have any idea if that's anywhere near what is normally charged for this sort of thing, or whether I should even compare this to that.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for how much I should charge? Maybe I should charge him by the blade? I have no idea :o

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

dont charge to little or you screw the market for others $25 pr hour is about right but be sure to keep track of all hr's even if you go out to get more materials for the job and traveling expenses ie $30 for gas. etc

tell

Edited by tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

I think most of the guys I know who do that sort of thing charge $20 to $25 an hour, but I've known guys to do machete modifications for about $45 per machete. Either option may be steep for your potential customer, though, because I'm betting he is probably getting them at Cold Steel's parking lot sale next week when everything will be a lot cheaper than normal.

i agree that you should charge more than 15, just for the reason tell says. you may get more business because of it, but you'd also be taking someone else's business away for it.

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel

Ok. I think $25 sounds about right. That's exactly what I was wondering about so thanks for the info, this helps. And I didn't even think of gas charges for material or anything, but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

-Dan

Some of what one will charge for labor will depend on where one lives. Where I live now has a lower cost of living than the large metropolitin area that I used to live in and I have noticed that the labor charges at business I have delt with are a lot less here than there.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!