First Folder Build Along

This is Going to be my first Friction Folder Build-Along thread. I got the idea that a quick stock removal folder would be a fun project since I can't light my forge beacause Im gonna be in bed for the forseable future. So far I have the pattern set and begun the grinding of my file. Pics will come as I go so stay tuned fellas!

Just a quick materials list of what I am using. I know most folks on here are far better then I am, but we may find someone who actually can learn something from me. :lol:

worn out file $free

1/8th in drill bits for pins $1.15 (i didn't have a metal bit so I needed to buy one, since I normally punch holes that size)

1/16th in brass liners $10.67 for 2 sqaure feet

1/8th by 3ft W1 rod $2.33 (for the pins. the carbon steel will last longer then copper or brass and was a ton cheaper)

carbide rod saw $3.22 (It is needed to cut the curves and such, plus it lasts longer on steel)

100 brass washers $2.33 (they are not needed, but I think will help make everything last longer)

So, for the materials I needed, it was under $20, and I have enough for several more.

The other tools needed are going to be

a hand brace drill (I'm too cheap to buy a new one. this got found in a buddies garage I cleaned out)

half round file (same guys garage)

bastard file (again, the magical garage of awesome! )

post vice (why use a small vice when you have this one )

vice grips, well, honestly i don't know if I will really need these, but they may come in handy

bench grinder (it is faster then a file )

epoxy (pins are good, but glue works too)

and some wood I found in the garage of AWESOME!!! It may be zebrawood. It was free, so who is complaining?

soap stone (for marking the pattern on metal)

pencil (for marking the wood. soap stone works too, but it won't come off wood that easy)

60-220 grit sand paper

a ruler (measure three times, begin to cut then measure again to make sure your not gonna screw up )

and of course

a resperator (the dust is not good from either the wood or grinder. this one is OSHA and ANSI approved for dust contamination from both metal and wood. the filters are not cheap, but they beat medical bills)

saftey glasses (who wants to be blinded?)

earplugs (I don't wanna go deaf, andt this way I can't hear my mom nag me )

This is my first go at a folder, so it ain't gonna be pretty!

Yes, this is long winded, but hey, Im excited :lol:

Here are some pics

the blade (it needs to be ground and have the holes drilled out, but other then that it is almost done) photo-33.jpg

the scales with the brass liners

photo-34.jpg

and some good old yankee ingenuity

photo-32.jpg

yow. that leg must hurt. you ok?

i was just wondering how you were going to grind in bed. the dust would make your sheets a bit uncomfortable. haha

any specific reason for copper? just cheaper or something else?

You know, for a blade that size, it might be worth while to clean it up with a file instead of a grinder. To be sure, the grinder is faster, but draw-filing yields such nicer results (in my case, at least). If you have the patience and the ability, I'd go with the file.

yow. that leg must hurt. you ok?

i was just wondering how you were going to grind in bed. the dust would make your sheets a bit uncomfortable. haha

any specific reason for copper? just cheaper or something else?

The leg is fine. I just had a bum hip that needed an operation. No major problems (I hope! :lol:)

Whatever material I end up using is beacause it is dirt cheap. To be honest with you, not beacuase it looks better.

The plan on the blade is to grind it 80% there and finish it with a file. speed of power tools, fine-ness of a file. Plus draw filing is awkward when your on crutches. ^_^

Edited by bigfoot

Ok so, it is almost done and ready for HT. The pivot pin is dead on (it only took 45 minutes to drill out by hand :rolleyes: note to self, buy a drill press). The stop pin is in the wrong place so the knife doesn't open all the way, so it is anoying like that (i think im just going to re grind the blade so it looks like its open all the way, make another and give this one to my mom :D). Other then that it is pretty darn good for a first folder.