Couple of carved Spyderco pocket knives

tsterling

TOM-- I can't believe we are getting so used to your neat pieces

that we don't comment on thse nice carvings.

I like them.

chuck

Tom

that crab is really cool.... biggrin.gif

I read it's for practice but why put all that effort into a stock folder?unsure.gif You are so good at objects de art I would have thought you would have used a different platform to play with...

Dick

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Patrick, the scales are 416 stainless steel, and carve/engrave pretty nicely. Anybody know where I can find some 1/8 inch thick 416? I can find lots of 1/16, but not 1/8.

Richard, the Spyderco Byrd series knives are pretty nice for their price ( a little more than $20), and they save me an enormous amount of time making a "canvas" for my carving and engraving. I get to kill two byrds with one stone, so to speak (sorry for the bad pun!) - practice on an actual knife shaped object (very different from a simple rectangular practice plate), and something my wife can sell at her gallery in a tourist town for a reasonable price.

It turns out that it takes about ten times the effort to make a design that will work on a knife shaped object than a rectangular piece of steel, so the design time is pretty eye-watering, and the Spydercos are repeatable if I want. If I add actually creating the knife to the design effort, the price far exceeds the tourist market instantly.

After spending three or more days creating an art knife canvas, the stress of making the first cut is intense, so a little inexpensive Spyderco is quite a relief for a little carving - mostly for enjoyment. :rolleyes:

Edited by tsterling

i like the dragon fly. i dident comment because i dident realize that you carved it i thought it was how they came. lol. the carving was so clean i dident think thats what you were showing. i was sitting there thinking to myself why would he be showing us spider co knives on a custome knife fourm? then i re read and realzed that you carved them. rofl. sorry. you have a masters hand.

"fire can be a tool of destruction or creation, the difference lies in the hands of those who wield it". me

Tom I always love seeing your work. Very nice. It may be practice but turns out looking grate to me