Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Stumbo

Cedar

Well, a few days ago while I was working in the shop (at the forge of course) my brother (Scott, who is at the Naval Acadamy, but here on summer break) hollered for me. Now of course I wasn't happy at having to stop smithing but I went to see what he wanted anyway. Now Scott was out back in one of our furthest pastures, working on burning. We have some patches of woods with lots of dead trees, he was draggin them out (with the tractor) to a large pile that he was burning. But anyway, when I got there he asked me if I wanted any of this cedar tree before he burned it. Say what! Yeah I want some! So I had him chop off the bottom 10 feet. Now I'm working on cutting this log into pieces approx 1 foot long, and since I don't like using the chainsaw, I'm using my bucksaw (yes, hand powered, I have a new respect for pioneers) after I get the small logs I'm using a hatchet and slicing off the sides to make large square logs of cedar, roughly 4" in diam. Once I get them all in this state, I will find a place to store them till I need them, can you say knife handles?

Oh, BTW, some of you might not know, Cedar is my favorite wood, the look, the smell, all of it just makes an awesome wood.

The log, about 8' left

DSC04275.JPG

two pieces not yet squared

DSC04274.JPG

the squared pieces, ready for storage.

DSC04273.JPG

That is beautiful wood. If only they made Smell-o-vision for the internet....

Are you sure you want to cut it up into such small pieces before you dry it? I don't know much about drying wood, but it would seem wise to leave some extra wood so that the cracks don't bite as deep into the important stuff.

That is beautiful wood. If only they made Smell-o-vision for the internet....

Are you sure you want to cut it up into such small pieces before you dry it? I don't know much about drying wood, but it would seem wise to leave some extra wood so that the cracks don't bite as deep into the important stuff.

Well, the tree has been dead for as long as I can remember, and for about 2 years I've had my eye on it, but I figured I'd wait awhile and make sure it was dry. and I'm hardly cutting off any wood, just 1/4-1/2" on each side.

I use western red cedar a lot for bird and owl houses. Even here where it grows like weeds it's still really expensive. A lot of times I just mill out my own lumber from all the chunks I have in the wood shed.

But it does crack real bad. Even when it's dry. As soon as you cut it and change the stress areas it will crack. But if you stabilize it first then that would be some great handle wood.

He could have sold that entire chunk on Ebay. Especially if it was already seasoned.

He could have sold that entire chunk on Ebay. Especially if it was already seasoned.

You want some? I would be happy to sell you some, or to anyone else who might want some, but I won't sell it all, I want some too.

The heart wood looks really great but, as I remember, Cedar is fairly soft. I'd deffinantly send it out for professional stabilization before making knife handles out of it.

Doug Lester

Ceder is most definitely expensive, we just tore out the railings for my front porch, nice ceder! Well it was, now it's all rotten.

That looks like aromatic cedar which is different from red or white cedar it is the stuff they use to line

closets and chests with i love the smell of it good score.

Bob