Sign in to follow this  
Donald Babcock

new one I started on today

Here is what I spent my fathers day doing. Spent all day in the shop. My aim was for a kinda "forged finish" look, but without a forge.

100_2432.JPG

This first picture is to give an idea of how things started. Steel is from a set of old leaf springs. Last night I cut off a section 10.5 inches by 2.5 inches. I got it up to a working tempurature and straightened in, then back in for an over night cooling to annealed it in my kiln.

This morning I cut it in half so 10.5 x 1.25. It is 5/16th inch thick when i first started. So definetly on the big side.

100_2433.JPG

This shows a better view of the preform before I started shaping. I did all the profiling with an angle grinder and draw filing. Only used the belt grinder to smooth things up quickly before going in the kiln for normalizations and heat treat. 3 normalizations (1450,1400, 1350) then a 10 minute soak at 1500. Quechned in 120 degree corn oil. Tempered at 500 degress for 1 hour (2 times). Then back to the belt grinder for finishing.

Here are some more pictures. This has a temporary cord wrap handle just for practice. Going to be getting some parachute cord. This was wrapped with some scrap "Mule Tape" that I had lying around.

100_2423.JPG

100_2427.JPG

100_2426.JPG

100_2421.JPG

This is the first time working with 5160 and I gotta say it is some rugged steel. Grinds pretty easy with a angle grinder, not so much with a belt grinder. Any thoughts or critiques are welcome. This is also my first time doing this style. This is based off of the raw dog line that Jason Taylor does. I know I have a long way to go before they look like his, but for a first and also being done in just one day I am proud of it.

sure it looks cool for you first knife,

but in my opinium it could look better if u polish it and put a nice wooden handle on it something like rosewood would look awesome ;)

greetings from holland :-P

Hey great job. I saw you were from Bangor my wife is from Auburn.

Yup, lived in maine my whole life (so far).

Man, those are some ugly photos. Gotta get the updated pics up to show the work that I did after I posted this. Looks better, but still haven't finished it yet.